Social Impact Summit
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 18, 2018
WhereTucson Convention Center
The 2018 Social Impact Summit will include speakers, panels, roundtables and an evening pitch competition open to UA students and the public.
The McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship's Social Impact Summit brings to together individuals, nonprofits, and corporations to discover ways to maximize social impact and drive innovation strategies. Through a series of workshops, panels, and roundtable discussions, attendees explore trends, changes and future innovations necessary to drive social innovation – locally, regionally, nationally and globally. In the evening, a social impact competition will allow the public as well as students to compete for awards.
The Social Impact Summit is a signature event that is part of the TENWEST Festival. You'll need a TENWEST pass to attend the Social Impact Summit, and the pass will give you access to many other events throughout the weeklong festival.
7:45-8:30 a.m. Registration/Coffee & Networking
Begin your day at the Social Impact Summit by stopping by the event registration table. Pick up your TENWEST Festival pass, and enjoy a pastry and cup of coffee to kick off your day! The registration table will be open all day.
8:30-9:45 a.m. Keynote/Panel
The morning keynote session is on Collaboration, Innovation, and Social Impact.
10:00-11:15 a.m. Educational Session 1
11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. Lunch
1:15-2:30 p.m. Educational Session 2
2:45-4 p.m. Educational Session 3
4:15-5 p.m. Closing Sessions
Track Content Features:
Choose from over 20 different panels and roundtables on areas including
- Prosperity: Economic & Workforce Development, Microfinance, & Impact Investing;
- Healthcare: Innovation in Global Health, Healthcare Management, & Behavioral Health;
- Law & Justice: Legal Access, Indigenous Law, & Prison-to-Work Innovation
- Food: Food Security, Economics & Sustainability, and Food Entrepreneurship
- Best Practices: Nonprofit Management & Social Venture Development
- Young Professionals: Board Service, Advocacy & Resource Development
5-6:30 p.m. Happy Hour
Before watching six great social impact finalists compete for $25,000 in prizes, network with leaders from the Southern Arizona community. Enjoy complimentary cocktails and heavy hors d’oeuvres at one of the best cause networking events you’ll attend this year. Also, plan to stick around after the pitch competition to congratulate all of the presenters!
6:30-9 p.m. Social Impact Pitch Competition
The McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship is proud to present the Social Impact Pitch Competition on Oct. 18, 2018, with $25,000 in awards. The Social Impact Pitch Competition is open to individuals, nonprofits, and social ventures that are starting new programs or services to solve needs in local communities or around the globe.
The six finalists for the Social Impact Summit are:
- Unvidoc: Connecting undocumented Hispanics with doctors all over the world.
- True Story: Collective Impact approach to fashion that provides training, jobs, & healing arts curriculum to women with fragile backgrounds.
- The Preschool Project: Want to solve the problems of tomorrow? Start TODAY - by creating the NEXT generation of critical thinkers and problem solvers!
- Kids in the Kitchen: Providing kitchen space to teach children healthy eating skills that prepares children for education.
- RentLab: Smarter, more efficient, more affordable, and more sustainable rental housing.
- Zerology: Zerology empowers people to create everyday waste reduction solutions through interactive tools, videos and action guides.
The master of ceremonies for the evening is Rick Yngve Interim Director of the McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship. Judges for the pitch competition TBA.
The McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship's 2018 Social Impact Summit was made possible by the following generous sponsors and partners.
- Agnese Nelms Haury Program in Environment and Social Justice
With additional support from:
- SVP Tucson
- Moves the Needle