- Doctorate Honoris Causa, University of Oulu, Finland, Spring 2017
Professor of Economics
Peter and Nancy Salter Chair in Healthcare Management
Professor of Marketing (Courtesy)
McClelland Hall 401HH
1130 East Helen Street
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Industrial organization
- Health economics
- Applied econometrics
- Energy and environmental economics
PhD Economics, Yale University, 1995
Gautam Gowrisankaran joined the Eller College of Management as Associate Professor of Economics in 2007. He was appointed the Arizona Public Service Professor of Economics in 2011 and the Peter and Nancy Salter Chair in Healthcare Management in 2020. His research focuses on industrial organization; health economics; energy and environmental economics; and applied econometrics. In recent papers, he has examined the gains from environmental regulations being dynamic; the presence and causes of non-rational decision-making for drug purchases under Medicare Part D; the social costs of renewable energy accounting for the fact that it is intermittent; microfoundations of applied bargaining models; and the impact of hospital mergers on bargaining leverage and prices (among other topics). He earned his PhD in Economics from Yale University in 1995 and is the recipient of a 2017 Doctorate Honoris Causa from the University of Oulu. His previous teaching experience includes Harvard University, the University of Minnesota and Washington University in St. Louis.
- ECON 551 Business Strategy
- ECON 696F Economics of Dynamic IO
Recent Research Papers
- Blundell, Wesley, Gautam Gowrisankaran and Ashley Langer (2020). “Escalation of Scrutiny: The Gains from Dynamic Enforcement of Environmental Regulations. Forthcoming, American Economic Review.
- Dalton, Christina M., Gowrisankaran, Gautam and Robert Town (2020). “Salience, Myopia and Complex Dynamic Incentives: Evidence from Medicare Part D.” The Review of Economic Studies 87:822-869.
- Collard-Wexler, Allan, Gautam Gowrisankaran and Robin Lee (2019). “‘Nash-in-Nash’ Bargaining: A Microfoundation for Empirical Work.’” Journal of Political Economy 127: 163-95.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, Stanley Reynolds and Mario Samano (2016). “Intermittency and the Value of Renewable Energy.” Journal of Political Economy 124(4): 1187-1234.
- Gautam Gowrisankaran, Aviv Nevo and Robert Town (2015). “Mergers When Prices Are Negotiated: Evidence from the Hospital Industry.” American Economic Review 105(1): 172-203.
Other Selected Publications
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam and Marc Rysman (2012). “Dynamics of Consumer Demand for New Durable Goods.” Journal of Political Economy 120(6): 1173-1219.
- Geweke, John, Gautam Gowrisankaran and Robert J. Town (2003). “Bayesian Inference For Hospital Quality in a Selection Model.” Econometrica 71: 1215 – 1238.