- Doctorate Honoris Causa, University of Oulu, Finland, Spring 2017
Arizona Public Service Professor of Economics
Professor of Marketing (Courtesy)
Director of Economics Graduate Studies
McClelland Hall 401HH
1130 East Helen Street
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Industrial organization
- Health economics
- Applied econometrics
- Energy and environmental economics
PhD Economics, Yale University, 1995
Gautam Gowrisankaran joined the Eller College of Management as associate professor in 2007. He was appointed the Arizona Public Service Professor in Economics in 2011. His research focuses on industrial organization; health economics; energy and environmental economics; and applied econometrics. His recent research has examined the dynamics of pricing for durable goods industries; the equilibrium costs of intermittency for renewable energy; the impact of hospital mergers on bargaining leverage with managed care organizations; and other topics. He earned his PhD in Economics from Yale University in 1995. His previous teaching experience includes the University of Minnesota and Washington University in St. Louis.
- ECON 696F Economics of Dynamic IO
Recent Research Papers
- Blundell, Wesley, Gautam Gowrisankaran and Ashley Langer (2020). “Escalation of Scrutiny: The Gains from Dynamic Enforcement of Environmental Regulations. Conditionally accepted, American Economic Review.
- Dalton, Christina M., Gowrisankaran, Gautam and Robert Town (2019). “Salience, Myopia and Complex Dynamic Incentives: Evidence from Medicare Part D.” Forthcoming, The Review of Economic Studies.
- Collard-Wexler, Allan, Gautam Gowrisankaran and Robin Lee (2019). “‘Nash-in-Nash’ Bargaining: A Microfoundation for Empirical Work.’” Journal of Political Economy 127: 163-95.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, Stanley Reynolds and Mario Samano (2016). “Intermittency and the Value of Renewable Energy.” Journal of Political Economy 124(4): 1187-1234.
- Gautam Gowrisankaran, Aviv Nevo and Robert Town (2015). “Mergers When Prices Are Negotiated: Evidence from the Hospital Industry.” American Economic Review 175(1): 1
Other Selected Publications
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam and Marc Rysman (2012). “Dynamics of Consumer Demand for New Durable Goods.” Journal of Political Economy 120(6): 1173-1219.
- Geweke, John, Gautam Gowrisankaran and Robert J. Town (2003). “Bayesian Inference For Hospital Quality in a Selection Model.” Econometrica 71: 1215 – 1238.