- Doctorate Honoris Causa, University of Oulu, Finland, Spring 2017
Arizona Public Service Professor of Economics
Professor of Marketing (Courtesy)
Director of Economics Graduate Studies
McClelland Hall 401HH
1130 East Helen Street
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Industrial organization
- Health economics
- Applied econometrics
- Energy and environmental economics
PhD Economics, Yale University, 1995
Gautam Gowrisankaran joined the Eller College of Management as associate professor in 2007. He was appointed the Arizona Public Service Professor in Economics in 2011. His research focuses on industrial organization; health economics; energy and environmental economics; and applied econometrics. His recent research has examined the dynamics of pricing for durable goods industries; the equilibrium costs of intermittency for renewable energy; the impact of hospital mergers on bargaining leverage with managed care organizations; and other topics. He earned his PhD in Economics from Yale University in 1995. His previous teaching experience includes the University of Minnesota and Washington University in St. Louis.
- ECON 696F Economics of Dynamic IO
Recent Research Papers
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, Aviv Nevo and Robert Town (2015). “Mergers When Prices Are Negotiated: Evidence from the Hospital Industry.” American Economic Review 175(1): 172-203.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, Christina Marsh and Robert Town (2014). "Myopia and Complex Dynamic Incentives: Evidence from Medicare Part D."
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, Stanley Reynolds and Mario Samano (2016). “Intermittency and the Value of Renewable Energy.” Journal of Political Economy 124(4): 1187-1234.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam, Karen Norberg, Steven Kymes, Michael Chernew, Dustin Stwalley, Leah Kemper and William Peck (2013). “A Hospital System’s Wellness Program Linked To Health Plan Enrollment Cut Hospitalizations But Not Overall Costs.” Health Affairs 32(3): 477–85.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam and Marc Rysman (2012). “Dynamics of Consumer Demand for New Durable Goods.” Journal of Political Economy 120(6): 1173-1219.
Other Selected Publications
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam and John Krainer (2011). “Entry and Pricing in a Differentiated Products Industry: Evidence from the ATM Market.” RAND Journal of Economics 42: 1-22.
- Chernew, Michael, Gautam Gowrisankaran and Dennis Scanlon (2008). “Learning and the Value of Information: Evidence from Health Plan Report Cards.” Journal of Econometrics 144: 156-74.