Fourth-Year Doctoral Candidate
Rebecca “Calee” MacGowan is a fourth-year student in the Eller College Department of Management and Organizations at the University of Arizona. Her research interests include the boundary between the domains of work and family, interpersonal relationships at work, and job search experiences. To explore these topics, she uses both field and experimental methodologies as well as various analytical strategies including structural equation modelling, multi-level analysis, and latent profile analysis. Her work has appeared in the Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Journal of Vocational Behavior and has been presented at the Academy of Management and Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology conferences. She earned a B.S. in Business with a concentration in Management/Entrepreneurship and Small Business Administration from Virginia Commonwealth University where she was awarded the Distinguished Service Award from Department of Management.
Additionally, she has worked as a strategy and organizational culture consultant for small businesses and non-profit organizations in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Work-Home Boundary
- Interpersonal Experiences at Work
- Job Search Experiences
- Gabriel, A.S., Volpone, S.D., MacGowan, R.L., Butts, M.M., & Moran, C.M. (2019). When work and family blend: Examining daily work experiences of breastfeeding mothers at work. Academy of Management Journal.
- Media coverage by AOM Insights, Bossed Up (Podcast), Futurity, Quartz, Workr Beeing (Podcast)
- Featured by Harvard Business Review: “When Companies Support Pumping Breastmilk at Work, Everyone Benefits.”
- Chawla, N., MacGowan, R.L., Gabriel, A.S., Podsakoff, N.P. (2019). Unplugging or staying connected? An examination of daily recovery experience profiles. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Dahling, J.J., Gabriel, A.S. & MacGowan, R.L. (2017). Patterns of the supervisor feedback environment: Links with well-being, motivation, and performance. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 101, 133-148.
- *MacGowan, R.L., Gabriel, A.S., da Motta Veiga, S. P. (2019, August). Does recovery benefit job seekers? A weekly investigation. In S. da Motta Veiga, R. MacGowan, & A. Gabriel (Chairs), Examining how individual, social, and contextual factors affect job search self-regulation. Symposium presented at the 79th Annual Conference of the Academy of Management, Boston, MA.
- *Chawla, N., MacGowan, R.L., Gabriel, A.S., & Podsakoff, N.P. (2019, April). Unplugging or staying connected? Exploring profiles of daily recovery experiences. In B.P. Acton & C. Calderwood (Chairs), Change is good: Challenging assumptions through within-person research.Symposium presented at the 32nd Annual Conference of the Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Washington, DC.
- Volpone, S.D., Gabriel, A.S., Campbell, J.T., *MacGowan, R.L., & Moran, C.M. (2019, April). Examining workplace support for breastfeeding women: A fuzzy set approach. In H.K. Cheung & E.B. King (Chairs), From pregnancy to permanent motherhood: Experiences of working mothers in the field. Symposium presented at the 32nd Annual Conference of the Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Washington, DC.
- *Chawla, N., MacGowan, R.L., Gabriel, A.S., Podsakoff, N. P. (2018, August). Unplugging in the evenings: Examining profiles of daily recovery experiences. In J. Barbour, C. Collins, & J. Trougakos (Chairs), Business as usual? New insights on the individual and organizational dynamics of employee well-being. Symposium presented at the 78th Annual Conference of the Academy of Management, Chicago, IL.
- Gabriel, A.S., Volpone, S., *MacGowan, R.L., Moran, C. (2018, August). A multi-study investigation of the daily experiences of breastfeeding mothers at work. In A.S. Gabriel (Chair), Work/Life and Current Issues. Paper session presented at the 78th Annual Conference of the Academy of Management, Chicago, IL.
- Gabriel, A.S., Volpone, S., *MacGowan, R.L., Moran, C. (2018, April). Daily experiences of breastfeeding women at work. In S.D. Volpone & A.S. Gabriel (Chairs), Women at work: New considerations and advancements in research and practice. Symposium presented at the 33rd Annual Conference of the Society of Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Chicago, IL.
- *Gabriel, A.S., MacGowan, R.L., & Dahling, J.J. (2015, May). Patterns of the feedback environment: Links with employee outcomes. In F. Anseel & B. Kuvaas (Chairs), Strategies for improving the outcomes of feedback interventions. Symposium presented at the 17th Annual Conference of the European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology, Oslo, Norway.
- *MacGowan, R.L. (2015, April). Patterns of supervisor and coworker feedback environment perceptions: links with employee outcomes. Poster presented at the VCU Symposium for Undergraduate Research and Creativity, Richmond, VA.
(* indicates presenter)
- Strategic Management
- Academy of Management - OB, HR, RM, & OT Divisions
- Society for Industrial & Organizational Psychology