Fifth-Year Doctoral Candidate
Sijun Kim is a doctoral candidate at the Eller College of Management. His research interests are primarily about voice and status with a focus on antecedents and consequences of voice and psychological experiences of status. His work has been published at the Academy of Management Journal and presented at multiple academic conferences including the Academy of Management Annual Meeting and the Annual Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology Conference. At Eller, he has been awarded the Stephen Robbins Doctoral Fellowship twice, the Outstanding Graduate Student Teaching Award, and the AKMS-Samsung Economic Research Institute Scholarship for Best Student Conference Papers. Additionally, he has experience teaching both in-person and online.
- Voice, Creativity, Helping, Pro/anti-social behaviors
- Status, Interpersonal relationships, Leadership
- Research methods
- McClean, E. J., Kim, S., & Martinez, T. M. (in press). Which ideas for change are endorsed? How agentic and communal voice affects endorsement differently for men and women. Academy of Management Journal. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2019.0492
- Doyle, S. P., Kim, S., & Kim, H. Y. (in press). The psychology of status competitions within organizations: Navigating two competing motives. In S. M. Garcia, A. Tor, & A. J. Elliot (Eds.), The Oxford handbook of the psychology of competition. Oxford University Press.
- Kim, S., McClean, E. J., Doyle, S. P., Podsakoff, N. P., Lin, E., & Woodruff, T. (2020, August). The positive and negative effects of social status on voice ratings: A test of opposing pathways. The 80th Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Virtual.
- Doyle, S. P., Polin, B., Kim, S., & Lount, R. B. Jr. (2020, June). Helping newcomers vs. insiders: The impact of status distance and status threat. The 35th Annual Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology Conference, Virtual.
- McClean, E. J., Kim, S., & Martinez, T. M. (2019, August). Voice legitimacy: How ideas for change become legitimate issues. The 79th Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Doyle, S. P., Pettit, N., Kim, S., To, C., &, Lount, R. B. Jr. (2019, August). Understanding competitive misconduct through a model of embedded competition. The 79th Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Doyle, S. P., Polin, B., Kim, S., & Lount, R. B. Jr. (2019, July). The interactive effect of status distance and target newcomer status on willingness to help teammates. INGroup Conference, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Podsakoff, N. P., Martinez, T. M., Kim, S., & McClean, E. J. (2018, August). Integrating employee voice behavior and creativity research. The 78th Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- MGMT 433 Strategic HR Management
- Academy of Management
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology