Peter and Nancy Salter Chair in Healthcare Management
Professor of Management and Organizations
Executive Director, Center for Management Innovations in Healthcare
McClelland Hall 405EE
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Managerial fairness and organizational justice
- Leadership development and ethics
- Human resource staffing and decision making
- Social and healthcare entrepreneurship
- Healthcare management and leadership
PhD, Michigan State University, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 1992
M.A., Michigan State University, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 1990
B.Sc., First Class Honors, University of Alberta, Psychology, 1987
Stephen Gilliland joined the Eller College of Management in 1995 after teaching for three years at Louisiana State University. At Eller, he is the director of the Center for Management Innovations in Healthcare and leads the online Master’s in Healthcare Management program. His research areas of focus are managerial fairness and organizational justice, leadership development and ethics, human resource staffing and decision making, social and healthcare entrepreneurship and healthcare management and leadership. He earned his PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology in 1992 from Michigan State University.
- MGMT 440 Leadership in a Complex World
- MGMT 696J Current Topics in Organizational Behavior
- Human Resource Management
- Healthcare Entrepreneurship
- Business Law, Governance and Corporate Ethics
Publications and Working Papers
- Gilliland, S. W. (in press). Organizational Justice. In D. S. Ones, N. Anderson, H. K. Sinangil, & C. Viswesvaran (Eds.), The SAGE Handbook of Industrial, Work & Organizational Psychology, 2nd ed, Vol. 2.
- Gilliland, S. W., Steiner, D. D., & Skarlicki, D. P. (2015). The Social Dynamics of Organizational Justice: Volume 8 in Research in Social Issues in Management. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Gilliland S. W. & Anderson, J.(2015). Justice, relative deprivation, and blame: Disentangling constructs to understand cognitive and emotional reactions to greed. In S. W. Gilliland, D. D. Steiner, & D. P. Skarlicki (Eds.), The Social Dynamics of Organizational Justice. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Bowen, D.E. Gilliland, S.W. & Folger, R. (2015). The psychology of fairness at work. In K. Elsbach, C. Kayes, & A. Kayes (Eds.), Contemporary Organizational Behavior: From Ideas to Action. Pearson-Prentice Hall.
- Gilliland, S. W., Gross, M. A., & Hogler, R. L. (2014). Is organizational justice the new industrial relations? A debate on individual versus collective underpinnings of justice. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 7, 155-172.
- Gilliland S. W. & Anderson, J. (2013). On the psychology of greed. In J. K. Ford, J. R. Hollenbeck, & A. M. Ryan (Eds.), The nature of work: Advances in psychological theory, methods, and practices. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Gilliland, S. W. & Steiner, D. D. (2012). Applicant reactions to testing and selection. In N. Schmitt (Ed.) The Oxford Handbook of Personnel Assessment and Selection (pp. 629-666). Oxford University Press.
- Li, A., Evans, J. M., Christian, M. S., Gilliland, S. W., Kausel, E. E., & Stein, J. H. (2011). The effects of managerial regulatory fit priming on reactions to explanations. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 115, 268-282.
- Gilliland, S. W. & Anderson, J. S. (2011). Perceptions of greed: A distributive injustice model. In S. W. Gilliland, D. D. Steiner, & D. P. Skarlicki (Eds.) Emerging Perspectives on Organizational Justice and Ethics. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Gilliland, S. W., Steiner, D. D., & Skarlicki, D. P. (2011). Emerging Perspectives on Organizational Justice and Ethics: Volume 7 in Research in Social Issues in Management. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Academy of Management
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Fellow
- JAP, Editorial Board
- AMR, AMJ, OBHDP, PPsysch, International Journal of Selection and Assessment, Ad-hoc Reviewer
Awards and Honors
- Recipient of the outstanding module of the Executive MBA program (2010).
- Recipient of the Academy of Management Perspectives Best Publication Award (2008)
- Recipient of the Jim and Rosemary Haleem Distinguished Teaching Award from the Department of Management and Organizations (2007).
- Recipient of CM Division Best Paper Award - Conflict in Context for 2007 Academy of Management Conference.
- Awarded Fellowship in the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology 2006
- Faculty Initiate to Beta Gamma Sigma, 2001
- Recipient of the Ernest J. McCormick Award for Distinguished Early Career Contributions from the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 1997
- University of Arizona Department of Management and Organizations Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher Award, 1996 & 1998