Associate Professor of MIS
McClelland Hall 430T
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Large scale collaboration in complex organizations
- Managing interruptions and work performance
- Leadership at a distance
- Information infrastructure in telemedicine and e-health contexts
- Distributed work in virtual teams
PhD, Carnegie Mellon University, 1989
- MIS 341/541 Systems Analysis and Design
- MIS 406/506 Introduction to Health Informatics
Publications and Working Papers
- Weisband, S., Ed. (2008). "Leadership at a distance: Research in technologically supported work". Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates
- Velasquez, N. and Weisband, S. (2008). “Work Practices of System Administrators: Implications for Tool Design.” Computer Human Interaction for the Management of Information Technology (CHIMIT), Nov., San Diego, CA.
- Kiesler, S., Boh, W.F., Ren, Y. & Weisband, S. (2008). "Virtual teams: High tech rhetoric and low tech experience". In K. L. Kraemer and M.S. Elliot (Eds.). "Computerization movements and technology diffusion: From mainframes to ubiquitous computing". Information Today Press
- Velasquez, N., Weisband, S. & Durcikova, A. (2008). "Designing Tools for System Administrators: An Empirical Test of the Integrated User Satisfaction Model.” Large Installation System Administrators (LISA), Nov. San Diego, CA.
- Ginsburg, M. & Weisband, S. (2006). "Volunteerism and virtual community business success: The case of the Internet Chess Club". Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 16 (3&4), 325-343
- Hinds, P. & Weisband, S. (2003). "Knowledge sharing and shared understanding in virtual teams". In C. Gibson & S. Cohen, "Creating conditions for effective virtual teams" (pp. 21-36). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass
- Weisband, S. (2002). "Maintaining awareness in distributed team collaboration: Implications for leadership and performance". In P. Hinds & S. Kiesler, "Distributed work" (pp. 311-333). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press
- Hauck, R. & Weisband, S. (2002). "When a better interface and easy navigation isn't enough: Examining the information architecture in a law enforcement agency". Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 53(10), 846-854
- Weisband, S., Fadel, K.J. & Mattarelli, E, "An experiment on the effects of interruptions on work trajectories and performance in critical environments"
- Weisband, S. & Bagger, J. (2007), "Constant interruptions in detective units"
- Weisband, S. (2007), "Leading a global organization: Views from the trenches"
- Weisband, S. & Atwater, L. (2007), "Leader selection and performance in virtual teams"
- Mattarelli, E. & Weisband, S. (2007), "Monitoring telemedicine over time: Creating an infrastructure for success"
- Academy of Management (Organizational Communication and Information Systems, Organizational Behavior, and Research Methods)
- Association for Computing Machinery (SIGMIS, SIGCHI, SIGGROUP)
- Association of Information Systems (AIS)
Awards and Honors
- Eller Fellow in MIS, Eller Graduate College of Management, 2000- present
- Recognition for Excellence, Univeristy of Arizona Information Advisory Council and Implementation Team, University of Arizona, 1998
- Recognition for Excellence in Teaching, Eller College Student Council, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003
- Research Competition Winner, Student showcase, University of Arizona, 1995