Associate Professor of Management and Organizations
McClelland Hall 405DD
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Human resource management
- Conflict management and negotiation
- Organizational justice
- Employee legal-claiming
- Social exchange
PhD, University of Maryland
JD, University of Maryland
Barry Goldman joined the Eller College of Management in 1998 after receiving his PhD in Human Resources and Organizational Behavior at the University of Maryland. Prior to academia, he was an attorney with the U.S. General Accounting Office in addition to two private law firms. His areas of expertise include human resource management, conflict management and negotiation, organizational justice, employee legal-claiming and social exchange.
- MGMT/LAW 564 Negotiations
- MGMT 568 Conflict MGMT & Negotiations
- MGMT 432 Negotiations
- MGMT 420 Business Law
- MGMT 430 Human Resource Policies/ Employment Law
- Business law
- Human resource policies
Publications and Working Papers
- Goldman, B., & Shapiro, D. (2012). The Psychology of Negotiations in the 21st Century Workplace (a volume in the SIOP Organizational Frontier series). New York, NY: Psychology Press/Routledge.
- Goldman, B., Cooper, D., & Koc, C. (2019). An Exploration of Whether Engineers Differ from Non-Engineers in their Approach to Negotiations. International Journal of Conflict Management, 30(4), pp. 420-440.
- Goldman, B., Cooper, D., & Kugler, T. (2019). Crime and punishment: A realistic group conflict theory approach to racial discrimination in the hiring of convicted felons. International Journal of Conflict Management, 1(30, 2-23.
- Goldman, B. M. (2018). Toward real justice for all: Rebooting Justice. International Journal of Conflict Management, 29(4), 564-567.
- Goldman, B., Shapiro, D., & Pearsall, M. (2016). Towards an understanding of the role of anticipatory justice in the employment dispute-resolution process. International Journal of Conflict Management, 27(2), 275-298—Selected as Best Paper in Journal 2017.
- Goldman, B., & Cropanzano, R. (2015). Justice and fairness are not the same thing. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 36, 313-328.
- Walumba, F. O., Cropanzano, R., & Goldman, B. M. (2011). Leader-member exchange, efficacy, and social exchange. Personnel Psychology.
- Goldman, B., Slaughter, J. Schmit, M. Wiley, J., & Brooks, S. (2008). Antecedents and consequences of discrimination claims: A multiple needs model perspective. Journal of Management, 34, 952-977.
- Goldman, B., Cropanzano, R., Stein, J., Shapiro, D., Thatcher, S. & Ko, J. (2008). The role of ideology in mediated disputes at work: A justice perspective. International Journal of Conflict Management, 19, 210-233—Highly Commended Award Winner
Refereed Chapters & Proceedings
- Goldman, B. M. & Shapiro, D., (2012). Introductory chapter: Negotiations in the 21st century workplace. Chapter 1 in Goldman, B., & Shapiro, D.. The Psychology of Negotiations in the 21st Century Workplace (a volume in the SIOP Organizational Frontier series). New York, NY: Psychology Press/Routledge.
- Past Division-chair, Conflict Management Division, Academy of Management (five-year term)
- Academy of Management
- American Bar Association (Member of Labor and Employment Relations and Dispute Resolution Sections).
- Journal of Applied Psychology, Editorial Board
- Journal of Management, Editorial Board
- Negotiations & Conflict Management Research Journal, Editorial Board
- International Journal of Conflict Management, Senior Book Editor & Editorial Board Member
Awards and Honors
- Top 1 percent (#40) Most Cited Management Author, 2000-2004 (Journal of Management) (2008) 34, 641-720 (p. 692).
- Extensive Executive Education
- Expert Witness Activities