Eller Professor of Economics
Director, Economic Science Laboratory
McClelland Hall 401X
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Experimental economics
PhD, Social Science, California Institute of Technology, 1993
Charles Noussair has been with the Eller College of Management since 2015. In addition to teaching at Eller, he is also a senior extramural fellow for CentER at Tilburg University. Before coming to Eller, he was a professor of economics at Tilburg University, an associate professor at Purdue University and the German International School of Management and an assistant professor at Erasmus University Rotterdam. He is an expert in experimental economics and currently researches how individuals deal with risky decisions and how they solve collective action problems, as well as the impact of emotions in economic decision making. He earned his PhD in Social Science from the California Institute of Technology in 1993.
- ECON 406, Introduction to Experimental Economics
- ECON 696A Experimental Economics l
- “Information Mirages and Financial Contagion in an Asset Market Experiment," with Yi Long Xu, Journal of Economic Studies, forthcoming.
- “Trader Characteristics and Fundamental Value Trajectories in an Asset Market Experiment," with Adriana Breaban, Journal of Experimental and Behavioral Finance, forthcoming.
- "Punishment, Reward, and Cooperation in a Framed Field Experiment," with Jan Stoop and Daan van Soest, Social Choice and Welfare, forthcoming.
- "Time as a Medium of Reward in Three Social Preference Experiments," with Jan Stoop, Experimental Economics, forthcoming.
- ”Cooperation in a Dynamic Fishing Game," with Jan Stoop and Daan van Soest, American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings, 105, May 2015, 408-413.
- “Pricing Decisions in an Experimental Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Economy," with Damjan Pfajfar and Janos Zsiros, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 109, January 2015, 188-202.
- “Experimental Approaches to Resource and Environmental Economics," with Daan van Soest, Annual Reviews of Resource Economics, Vol. 6, November 2014, 319-337.
- “Artificial Intelligence and Economics: From Homo Sapiens to Robo Sapiens," with Ad van de Gevel, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Advances in Computing, Electronics, and Communication, ACEC 2014, October 2014, 121-126.
- “Risk Aversion and Emotions” with Yen Nguyen," Pacific Economic Review, 19(3), August 2014, 296-312.
- ”Emotions, Sanctions, and Cooperation," with Mateus Joffily, David Masclet, and Marie-Claire Villeval, Southern Economic Journal, 80(4), April 2014, pages 1002-1027.
- “The Impact of Asset Repurchases and Issues in an Experimental Market," with Ernan Haruvy and Owen Powell, Review of Finance 18(2), April 2014, pages 681-713.
Other Selected Publications
- “Higher Order Risk Attitudes, Demographics, and Financial Decisions,” with Gijs van de Kuilen and Stefan Trautmann, Review of Economic Studies 81(1), January 2014, 325-355.
- “From the Lab to the Field: Cooperation Among Fishermen”, with Jan Stoop and Daan van Soest, Journal of Political Economy 120(6) December 2012, pages 1027-1056.