Assistant Professor of Finance
McClelland Hall 315K
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Institutional investors
- asset management
- price feedback and price informativeness
- early-stage financing and IPOs
- Taxes and retirement planning
PhD in Finance, University of Colorado Boulder, 2014
David Brown joined the Eller College of Management in 2014 after earning his PhD in Business Administration (Finance) from the University of Colorado Boulder. His areas of research include institutional investors, asset management, price feedback and price informativeness, early-stage financing and IPOs, taxes and retirement planning. Prior to joining academia, he worked in high-frequency algorithmic trading and private student lending where he was involved in several fundraising efforts, ranging from $300,000 to $75 million.
- FIN 413 Financial Modeling - Fall
- FIN 513 Valuation Modeling - Fall
Publications and Working Papers
- "Moral Hazard in Active Asset Management," with Shaun William Davies, Journal of Financial Economics, Volume 125, Issue 2, August 2017, Pages 311-325.
- "Tax Uncertainty and Retirement Savings Diversification," with Scott Cederburg and Michael O'Doherty. Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 126, Issue 3, December 2017, Pages 689-712.
- "Investing in Security Price Informativeness: The Role of IPO Underpricing," Job Market Paper. NASDAQ OMX Group Ph.D. Dissertation Grant, 2013.
- "Key Investors in IPOs," with Sergei Kovbasyuk.
- "Financing Efficiency of Securities-Based Crowdfunding," with Shaun William Davies.
- "ETF Arbitrage and Return Predictability," with Shaun William Davies and Matthew Ringgenberg.
- "Simple Intuition Gone Awry: Combining Real and Financial Options in Tax Elections," with J. Chris Leach. McGraw-Hill/Irwin Distinguished Paper Award, SWFA, 2013.
- "Dark Pool Exclusivity Matters," with Leslie Boni and J. Chris Leach.
- "The Effects of ETF Competition on Active Asset Managers," with Shaun William Davies and Mathias Kronlund.
- "Equity Crowdfunding - Theory and Evidence," with Shaun William Davies and Mingfeng Lin.
- "Exclusive Dark Pools," with Leslie Boni and J. Chris Leach, Review of Financial Regulation Studies, 10: 5-6 (2012).