Associate Professor of Accounting
Finance Faculty Courtesy Appointment
McClelland Hall 301G
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Financial reporting and capital markets
- Debt contracting
- Compensation contracting
PhD, New York University
MBA, Jamnala Bajaj Institute of Management Studies
BCom, Madras University
Jayanthi Sunder joined the Eller College of Management in 2010. Before joining Eller, she worked as an assistant professor at Northwestern University and Cornell University. Her areas of expertise include financial reporting and capital markets, debt contracting and compensation contracting. In addition to her teaching experience she has also worked as a senior consultant for A.F. Ferguson & Co. Management Consultancy Division and as a business analyst for Hindustan Lever Limited. She is a member of the American Accounting Association.
- Acct 400B/500B/500I, Intermediate Financial Accounting
- Acct 501/501I, Advanced Accounting
Publications and Working Papers
- Published Papers:
- Pilot CEOs and Corporate Innovation, with Shyam V. Sunder (University of Arizona) and Jingjing Zhang (McGill University), accepted at Journal of Financial Economics.
- Balance Sheet Conservatism and Debt Contracting, with Shyam V. Sunder (University of Arizona) and Jingjing Zhang (McGill University), accepted at Contemporary Accounting Research.
- Debtholder Responses to Shareholder Activism: Evidence from Hedge Fund Interventions, with Shyam V. Sunder (University of Arizona), and Wan Wongsunwai (Northwestern University), Review of Financial Studies, Vol. 27(11) 3318-3342, November 2014.
- Managerial Ability, Tenure and Promotions: Evidence from Film Directors, with Kose John (New York University) and S. Abraham Ravid (Yeshiva University) - forthcoming Journal of Corporate Finance.
- Large Shareholders and Disclosure Strategies: Evidence from IPO Lockup Expirations, with Yonca Ertimur (University of Colorado) and Ewa Sletten (Boston College), The Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 58 (1), August 2014.
- Investor Horizon and CEO Horizon Incentives, with Brian Cadman (University of Utah), The Accounting Review, Vol. 89 (4), July 2014.
- Stock Option Grant Vesting Terms: Economic and Financial Reporting Determinants, with Brian Cadman (University of Utah) and Tjomme Rusticus (Northwestern University), Review of Accounting Studies, Vol. 18 (4), pp 1159-1190, December 2013.
- Accounting Quality and Debt Contracting, with Sreedhar Bharath (University of Michigan) and Shyam V. Sunder (Northwestern University), The Accounting Review, Vol. 83, No.1, January 2008.
- Endogenous Entry/Exit as an Alternative Explanation for the Disciplining Role of Independent Analysts, with Thomas Lys, Northwestern University, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 45, August 2008.
- Measure for Measure: The Relation between Forecast Accuracy and Recommendation Profitability of Analysts, with Yonca Ertimur (Duke University) and Shyam V. Sunder (Northwestern University), Journal of Accounting Research, Vol. 45, No. 3, June 2007.
- Working Papers:
- When and Why do IPO firms manage earnings?, with Yonca Ertimur (University of Colorado), Ewa Sletten (Boston College), and Joseph Weber (MIT).
- SEC monitoring of foreign firms’ disclosures, with James Naughton (Northwestern University), Rafael Rogo (University of British Columbia), and Ray Zhang (University of British Columbia).
- Role of Auditor Portfolios – Evidence from the Financial Crisis, with Curtis Hall (Drexel University) and Scott Judd (University of Arizona).
- The Role of Managerial Overconfidence in the Design of Debt Covenants, with Shyam V. Sunder (University of Arizona), and Liang Tan (George Washington University).
- Earnings Seasons: Analysis of Inferred and Announced News, Curtis Hall (Drexel University) and Shyam V. Sunder (University of Arizona).
- Information Spillovers and Capital Structure-New York University Dissertation.