Lehman Benson III
Associate Professor of Management and Organizations
McCoy/Rogers Fellow of Management and Organizations
Founding Executive Director, Sports Management Program
McClelland Hall 405LL
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Sports management
- Judgment and decision making
- Conflict management and negotiations
- Organizational justice
- Effects of time constraints and stress on judgment and decision making
PhD, Lund University, Sweden
MA, University of California, San Diego
BA, University of California, Davis
Lehman Benson joined the Eller College of Management in 1994 after earning his PhD in Psychology at Lund University (Sweden). In addition, to studying in Sweden, Lehman completed a Presidential Post-Doctoral Fellowship at the University of California Berkeley. He became the executive director of Eller’s Sports Management Program in 2012. His areas of expertise include sports management, conflict management and negotiations, organizational justice and the effects of time constraints on judgment and decision-making. Benson is also a member of the Eller College Diversity and Inclusion Task Force.
- MGMT 353 Sports Negotiation and Compliance
- MGMT 357 Life Cycle of Elite Athletics
- Organizational Behavior
- Ethical, Political, Legal Environment of Business
- Organizational Theory
Publications and Working Papers
- Ordóñez, L. D., Benson, L., & Pittarello, A. (2016). Time Pressure Perception and Decision Making. In G. Keren and G. Wu (Eds): The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Judgment and Decision Making.
- Cropanzano, R., Li. A., Benson, L. (2011). Peer justice and teamwork process. Group and Organization Management, 36 (5), 567-596.
- Goldman, B., Cropanzano, R., Stein, J., & Benson III, L., (2008). The role of third-parties/mediation in resolving conflict in organizations. In Gelfand, m.j. & De Dreu, C.K.W. (Eds), The psychology of conflict and conflict management in organizations [SIOP Frontiers Series] (pp.291-320). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Janakiraman, N., & Benson III, L. (2008). Effects of service time on perceived wait in queue: Role of fairness and expectations. In Advances in Consumer Research Volume 35, eds. Angela Y. Lee and Dilip Soman, Duluth, MN: Association for consumer Research.
Selected Working Papers
- Benson III, L., Mertens D.P., Beach L. R., & Payne J. W. The violation threshold in Image theory’s compatibility test. ( 2nd revise and resubmit Journal of Behavioral Decision-Making).
- Gutek, B., O’Connor, M., Done, R., Benson, L., Stockdate, P., Geer, T., Melançon. An exploration of the effects of stimulus materials on judgments of sexual harassment (submitted to Journal of Applied Psychology).
- American Psychological Association
- American Psychological Society
- Editorial Board of the Journal of Behavioral Decision-Making
- Panelist for National Science Foundation
- Journal of Behavioral Decision-Making, Editorial Board
- Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Personnel Psychology, National Science Foundation, Ad-hoc Reviewer
- Organizational Behavior, Reviewer
- Scientific Affairs, Committee (Organizational Behavior Division) for the Academy of Management 2006-07, Member Gender and Diversity (2006) Academy of Management, Reviewer
Awards and Honors
- Eller Executive MBA Outstanding Module Award
- Eller College of Management Faculty Appreciation Award
- Chi Omega Faculty Application Award
- President’s Post Doctoral Fellow, the University of California
- State of Arizona Teaching Award
- Wakonse Teaching Fellow
- Several University of Arizona Teaching Awards including:
- U of A Alumni Association Apple Polisher’s Teaching Award
- Professor of the Year, The Eller College of Management
- Teacher of the Year, The Eller College of Management
- Advisor of the Year, Mortar Board Honorary Society
- Faculty Initiate: Beta Gamma Sigma Business National Honor Society