Matthew J. Hashim
Matthew J. Hashim
Matthew Hashim joined the Eller College of Management in 2011 after earning his PhD in Management Information Systems from Purdue University. He brings with him vast industry experience in the information technology field, including working as a network administrator, programmer and systems management manager. His research is focused around information security and privacy, digital piracy, experimental and behavioral economics and electronic commerce.
- MIS 304 Using and Managing Information Systems
- MIS 441 Information Systems Analysis and Design (past)
- MIS 416 Information Security Risk Management (past)
- Hashim, M. J., Ram, S. & Tang, Z. (2018). Uncovering the Effects of Digital Movie Format Availability on Physical Movie Sales. Decision Support Systems (forthcoming).
- Buckman, J. R., Bockstedt, J. C., & Hashim, M. J. (2018). Relative Privacy Valuations under Varying Disclosure Characteristics. Information Systems Research (forthcoming).
- Hashim, M. J., Kannan, K. N., & Wegener, D. T. (2018). Central Role of Moral Obligations in Determining Intentions to Engage in Digital Piracy. Journal of Management Information Systems 35(3), pp. 934-963.
- Hashim, M. J., Kannan, K. N., & Maximiano, S. (2017). Information feedback, targeting, and coordination: An experimental study. Information Systems Research 28(2), pp. 289-308, Best Published Paper Runner-Up.
- Hashim, M. J., Kannan K. N., Maximiano S., & Rees Ulmer J. (2014). Digital piracy, teens, and the source of advice: An experimental study. Journal of Management Information Systems 31(2), pp. 215-248.
- "Security, Privacy, and Social Engineering Experiments," Sampoerna University, Jakarta, Indonesia, March 2, 2018.
- "Designing Better Password Strength Meters by Incorporating Contextual Information," with W. Khern-am-nuai, A. Pinsonneault, W. Yang, N. Li. Workshop on Information Technologies and Systems (WITS), Best Paper Nominee, Seoul, Korea, December 2017.
- "Social Engineering Experiments," with J.C. Bockstedt, L. Brandimarte, I. Kaufer, B. McDermott. Workshop on Experimental and Behavioral Economics in Information Systems (WEBEIS), Atlanta, GA, May 12, 2017.
- "Human Exploits in Cybersecurity: A Social Engineering Study," with J.C. Bockstedt, I. Kaufer, B. McDermott. Workshop on Information Security and Privacy (WISP), Dublin, Ireland, December 10, 2016.
- "Analyzing the Value of an Information Disclosure," with J. Buckman and J.C. Bockstedt. IFIP Dewald Roode Information Security Workshop, Newark, DE, October 2, 2015.
- "Overcoming Free-Riding in Information Goods: Sanctions or Rewards?" with J.C. Bockstedt. Workshop on Experimental and Behavioral Economics in Information Systems (WEBEIS), West Lafayette, IN, July 31, 2015.
- "Delivery of Movies via the Internet: Uncovering the Effects of the Availability of Digital Formats on Physical Sales," with Zhulei Tang and Sudha Ram, The 2nd Annual UA-Tsinghua E-Commerce Workshop, Tucson, AZ, May 13, 2013.
- "Collaboration, Interdependency, and Transfer Pricing," with Karthik Kannan, The 2012 Workshop on Information Systems and Economics (WISE), Orlando, FL, 2012.
- "Collaboration, Interdependency, and Transfer Pricing," with Karthik Kannan, The 2012 North American Economic Science Association (ESA) Conference, Tucson, AZ, 2012.
- "Information Targeting and Coordination: An Experimental Study," with Sandra Maximiano, and Karthik Kannan, The 2011 Workshop on Information Systems and Economics (WISE), Shanghai, China, 2011.
- "Digital Piracy, Teens, and the Role of Advice," with Sandra Maximiano, Karthik Kannan, and Jackie Rees, The 2011 North American Economic Science Association (ESA) Conference, Tucson, AZ, 2011.
- "Information Targeting and Coordination: An Experimental Study," with Sandra Maximiano, and Karthik Kannan, The 10th Workshop on the Economics of Information Security (WEIS), Fairfax, VA, 2011.
- Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- Economic Science Association (ESA)
Honors and Awards
- Best Published Paper Runner-Up, Information Systems Research 2017
- Dean’s Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, 2017-2018
- Robert Lusch Engaging Course Award for MIS 304, 2017-2018
- Best Paper Nominee, Workshop on Information Systems and Technology (WITS) 2017
- Eller College Student’s Choice Award for Outstanding Faculty (Dean’s Council), 2017
- MIS Faculty Member of the Year (MIS Association), 2017
- Dean’s Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, 2015-2016
- Eller Undergraduate Faculty Member of the Year (Large Class), 2015-2016
- Purdue Research Foundation Dissertation Grant, University-wide competition, 2010-2011
- Graduate Teaching Certificate, Purdue Center for Instructional Excellence
- Krannert Certificate for Distinguished Teaching, Purdue University, Fall 2009
- PhD, Purdue University, 2011