Professor of Management and Organizations
McClelland Hall 405PP
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Employee citizenship/Prosocial behavior
- Organizational stress
- Scholarly impact in the field of management
- Research methods in organizational research
Ph.D., Organizational Behavior and Human Resources, University of Florida
A.B., Psychology, Princeton University
Nathan Podsakoff joined the Eller College of Management in 2007 after earning his PhD in Organizational Behavior from the University of Florida. His areas of expertise include employee citizenship and prosocial behavior, organizational stress, leadership, scholarly impact in the field of management and research methods in organizational research. He is a member of the Academy of Management, the American Psychological Association and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
- BNAD/HNRS 330 Leadership in Organizations
- MGMT 336 Leadership in Organizations
- MGMT 440 Leadership in a Complex World
- MGMT 475 Topics in Management
- MGMT 501 Leadership in Organizations
- MGMT 554 Research Methodology
- MGMT 600 Behavioral Science Theory and Method
- Methot, J.R., LePine, J.A., Podsakoff, N.P., & Christian, J.S. (In press). Are workplace friendships a mixed blessing? Exploring tradeoffs of multiplex relationships and their associations with job performance. Personnel Psychology.
- Podsakoff, N.P., Maynes, T. Whiting, S.W., & Podsakoff, P.M. (2015). One (rating) from many (observations): Factors affecting the individual assessment of voice behavior in groups. Journal of Applied Psychology, 100, 1189-1202.
- Slaughter, J.E., Christian, M.S., Podsakoff, N.P., Sinar, E.F., & Lievens, F. (2014). On the limitations of using situational judgment tests to measure interpersonal skills: The moderating influence of employee anger. Personnel Psychology, 67, 847-885.
- Podsakoff, N.P., Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.B., Maynes, T.D., & Spoelma, T.M. (2014). Consequences of unit-level organizational citizenship behaviors: A review and recommendations for future research. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 35, S87-S119.
- Podsakoff, N.P., Whiting, S.W., Welsh, D.W., & Mai, M. (2013). Surveying for artifacts: The susceptibility of the OCB--performance evaluation relationship to common rater, item, and measurement context effects. Journal of Applied Psychology, 98, 863-874.
- Podsakoff, N.P., Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.B., & Klinger, R. (2013). Are we really measuring what we say we’re measuring? Using video techniques to supplement traditional construct validation procedures. Journal of Applied Psychology, 98, 99-113.
- Whiting, S.W., Maynes, T. Podsakoff, N.P., & Podsakoff, P.M. (2012). Effects of context, source, and message characteristics on evaluations of employee voice behavior. Journal of Applied Psychology, 97, 159-182.
- Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.B., & Podsakoff, N.P. (2012). Sources of method bias in social science research and recommendations on how to control it. Annual Review of Psychology, 65, 539-569.
- MacKenzie, S.B., Podsakoff, P.M., & Podsakoff, N.P. (2011). Challenge-oriented organizational citizenship behaviors and organizational effectiveness: Do challenge-oriented behaviors really have an impact on the organization’s bottom line? Personnel Psychology, 64, 559-592.
- MacKenzie, S.B., Podsakoff, P.M., & Podsakoff, N.P. (2011). Construct measurement and validation procedures in MIS and behavior research: Integrating new and existing techniques. MIS Quarterly, 35, 293-334.
- Kuskova, V.V., Podsakoff, N.P., & Podsakoff, P.M. (2011). Effects of theoretical contribution and methodological rigor, and journal quality on the impact of scale development articles in the field of entrepreneurship. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 5, 10-36.
- Podsakoff, N.P., Whiting, S.W., Podsakoff, P.M., & Mishra, P. (2011). Effects of organizational citizenship behaviors on selection decisions in employment interviews. Journal of Applied Psychology, 96, 310-326.
- Judge, T.A., Piccolo, R.P., Podsakoff, N.P., Shaw, J.C., & Rich, B.L. (2010). The relationship between pay and job satisfaction: A meta-analysis of the literature. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 77, 157-167.
- Organ, D.W., Podsakoff, P.M., & Podsakoff, N.P. (2010). Expanding the criterion domain to include organizational citizenship behavior (OCB): Implications for employee selection. In S. Zedeck (Ed.), APA Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (Vol. 2, pp. 281-323). Washington, DC: APA.
- Podsakoff, N.P., Podsakoff, P.M., & Kuskova, V.V. (2010). Dispelling misconceptions and providing guidelines for leader reward and punishment behavior. Business Horizons, 53, 3,291-303.
- Podsakoff, N.P., Whiting, S.W., Podsakoff, P.M., & Blume, B.D. (2009). Individual- and organizational-level consequences of organizational citizenship behaviors: A meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 94, 122-141.
- Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.B., Podsakoff, N.P., & Bachrach, D.G. (2008). Scholarly influence in the field of management: A bibliometric analysis of university and author impact on the management literature during the past quarter century. Journal of Management, 34, 641-720.
- Podsakoff, N.P., LePine, J.A., & LePine, M.A. (2007). Differential challenge stressor-hindrance stressor relationships with job attitudes, turnover intentions, turnover, and withdrawal behavior: A meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92, 438-454.
- Podsakoff, P.M., Bommer, W.H., Podsakoff, N.P., & MacKenzie, S.B. (2006). Relationships between leader reward and punishment behavior and subordinate attitudes, perceptions, and behaviors: A meta-analytic review of existing and new research. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 99, 113-142.
- Podsakoff, N.P., Shen, W., & Podsakoff, P.M. (2006).The role of formative measurement models in strategic management research: Review, critique, and implications for future research. In D.J. Ketchen and D.D. Bergh (Eds.), Research Methods in Strategy and Management. (Vol. 3, pp. 201-256). Greenwich, CN: JAI.
- LePine, J.A., Podsakoff, N.P., & LePine, M.A. (2005). A meta-analytic test of the challenge stressor-hindrance stressor framework: An explanation for inconsistent relationships among stressors and performance. Academy of Management Journal, 48, 764-775.
- Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.M., Bachrach, D.G., & Podsakoff, N.P. (2005). The influence of management journals in the 1980’s and 1990’s. Strategic Management Journal, 26, 473-488.
- Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.M., Lee, J., & Podsakoff, N.P. (2003). Common method variance in behavioral research: A critical review of the literature and recommended remedies. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88, 879-903.
- Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.M., Podsakoff, N.P., & Lee, J. (2003). The mismeasure of man(agement) and its implications for leadership research. Leadership Quarterly, 14, 615-656.
- Academy of Management
- American Psychological Association
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Editorial Board Service
- Personnel Psychology (Associate Editor)
- Academy of Management Journal
Awards and Honors
- Academy of Management Research Methods Division/Sage Publications/CARMA’s Early Career Achievement Award (2014)
- Co-recipient of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology’s William A. Owens Scholarly Achievement Award (Best Paper in Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2005)
- Recipient of the Department of Management & Organizations Outstanding Teaching Award (2010).