Director, Dhaliwal-Reidy School of Accountancy
Lou Myers Professor of Accounting
McClelland Hall 301X
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Financial accounting
- Financial analysts
- Financial disclosure/statements
- Financial reporting
PhD, New York University, 2002
MPA, University of Texas, Austin, 1997
MBA, Indian Institute of Management, 1990
Shyam Sunder joined the Eller College of Management in 2010. Before joining Eller, he was an assistant professor at Northwestern University. In addition to his teaching experience, Sunder has also worked as an audit manager and a factory controller with Hindustan Lever Limited. His areas of expertise include financial accounting, financial analysis, financial disclosure and statements and financial reporting.
- Acct 682, Advanced Financial Accounting Theory
Publications and Working Papers
- Pilot CEOs and Corporate Innovation, with Jayanthi Sunder and Jingjing Zhang. Forthcoming Journal of Financial Economics
- Balance Sheet Conservatism and Debt Contracting, with Jayanthi Sunder and Jingjing Zhang. Accepted Contemporary Accounting Research
- Sunder, Jayanthi, Shyam V. Sunder and Wan Wongsunwai. Debtholder Responses to Shareholder Activism: Evidence from Hedge Fund Interventions. Review of Financial Studies. Vol. 27(11) 3318-3342
- Srivastava, Anup, Shyam V. Sunder and Senyo Tse. Timely loss recognition and the early termination of loss making projects. China Journal of Accounting Research. Vol. 8(3) 147-167
- Bharath, Sreedhar T., Jayanthi Sunder and Shyam V. Sunder. 2008. Accounting Quality and Debt Contracting. Accounting Review. 83(1): 1-28.
- Cohen, Daniel A., Aiyesha Dey, Thomas Lys and Shyam V. Sunder. 2007. Earnings Announcement Premia and the Limits to Arbitrage. Journal of Accounting and Economics. 43(2-3): 153-180.
- Ertimur, Yonca, Jayanthi Sunder and Shyam V. Sunder. 2007. Measure for Measure: The Relation between Forecast Accuracy and Recommendation Profitability of Analysts. Journal of Accounting Research. 45(3): 567-606.
- Mohanram, Partha and Shyam V. Sunder. 2006. How Has Regulation FD Affected the Operations of Financial Analysts? Contemporary Accounting Research. 23(2): 491-525.
- Working Papers:
- Financial reporting quality, investment horizon, and institutional investor trading strategies, with Brian Bushee (University of Pennsylvania), and Theodore Goodman (Purdue University) Revise and resubmit at The Accounting Review
- The Role of Managerial Overconfidence in the Design of Debt Covenants, with Jayanthi Sunder (University of Arizona), and Liang Tan (George Washington University). Revise and resubmit at Journal of Management Accounting Research
- Earnings Seasons: Analysis of Inferred and Announced News, with Curtis Hall (Drexel University) and Jayanthi Sunder (University of Arizona)
- Sunder, Shyam V. 2003. Investor Access to Conference Call Disclosures: Impact of Regulation Fair Disclosure on Information Asymmetry.
- Book Chapters, Cases, Commentaries:
- Sunder, Shyam V. 2001. "Accounting Rules and Regulations for Intangibles." In Intangibles: Management, Measurement and Reporting, edited by Baruch Lev, Washington DC: Brookings Institution Press.
- Jayanthi Sunder, Shyam V. Sunder and Wan Wongsunwai 2015. Who else is affected by activist investors KelloggInsight
- Sreedhar Bharath, Jayanthi Sunder and Shyam V. Sunder 2009. Banks, Bonds, and Accounting Quality. KelloggInsight
- Partha Mohanram and Shyam V. Sunder 2007. Savvy Financial Analysts Adapt to Regulation ‘Fair Disclosure’. KelloggInsight
- Partha Mohanram and Shyam V. Sunder 2002. Full Disclosure. SternBusiness
- Sunder, Shyam V. 1999. Sunbeam Inc.. Stern School of Business Department of Accounting/Vincent C. Ross Institute, Case Case Studies in Earnings Management ACC-99-7