Associate Professor of Management and Organizations
McClelland Hall 405MM
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Behavioral strategy
- Behavioral theory of the firm
- Adaptive aspirations (goals) and attention allocation
- Firm risk-taking behavior
- Organizational learning
PhD, Strategy and Entrepreneurship, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill
Songcui Hu joined the Eller College of Management in 2012 after earning her PhD in strategy and entrepreneurship at the University of North Carolina. Her research interests include behavioral strategy, behavioral theory of the firm, adaptive aspirations (goals) and attention allocation, firm risk-taking behavior and organizational learning.
- Hu, S., & Bettis, RA. 2018. Multiple organizational goals with feedback from shared technological task environments. Organization Science, 29(5): 873-889. doi.org/10.1287/orsc.2018.1207
- Bettis, RA., & Hu, S. 2018. Bounded rationality, heuristics, computational complexity, and artificial intelligence. Advances in Strategic Management, Behavioral Strategy in Perspective (Augier, M, Fang, C., & Rindova, V.P. ed.), 39: 139 – 150. Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Schilke, O.†, Hu, S.†, & Helfat, CE. 2018. Quo vadis, dynamic capabilities? A content-analytic review of the current state of knowledge and recommendations for future research. Academy of Management Annals, 12(1): 390-439. doi.org/10.5465/annals.2016.0014 ( † The first two authors contribute equally to the paper)
- Hu, S., He, Z., Blettner, D., & Bettis, RA. 2017. Conflict inside and outside: Social comparisons and attention shifts in multidivisional firms. Strategic Management Journal, 38(7): 1435-1454. doi.org/10.1002/smj.2556
- Blettner, D., He, Z., Hu, S., & Bettis, RA. 2015. Adaptive aspirations and performance heterogeneity: Attention allocation among multiple reference points. Strategic Management Journal, 36(7): 987-1005. doi.org/10.1002/smj.2260
- Hu, S., & Bettis, RA. 2013. Adaptive aspirations. Book chapter in Palgrave Encyclopedia of Strategic Management, Augier, M., Teece, DJ. (Eds.). Palgrave Macmillan: Basingstoke and New York, NY.
- Blettner, D., He, Z., Hu, S., & Bettis, RA. 2011. Heterogeneity in adaptive aspirations and reference groups. 2011 Academy of Management BPS Division Best Paper Proceedings.
- Hu, S., Blettner, D., & Bettis, RA. 2011. Adaptive aspirations: Risk taking at extremes and alternative reference groups. Strategic Management Journal, 32: 1426-1436. doi.org/10.1002/smj.960
Academy of Management
Strategic Management Society
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award, Management and Organizations Department, University of Arizona (2015)
- Peggy Lee-Sunil Wahal PhD Award, Kenan-Flagler Business School, UNC (2011)
- Future Faculty Fellowship, Graduate School, UNC (2010)
- SMS Doctoral Consortium Fellowship, Strategic Management Society (2009)
- PhD Fellowship, University of North Carolina (2007-2012)
Editorial Boards and Service
- Editorial Board Member for Strategic Management Journal (2013-present)
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for Strategic Management Journal (2009-2013)
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for Organization Science (2009-present)
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for Administrative Science Quarterly
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for Strategy Science
- Ad-hoc Reviewer for Advances in Strategic Management
- Conference Reviewer for AOM and SMS (2009-present)