Associate Professor of Management and Organizations
McClelland Hall 405BB
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Interactive decision making
- Emotions and decision making
- Inter-group conflict
- Group decision making
PhD, Experimental and Social Psychology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2004
MA, Cognitive Psychology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1999
BA, Psychology and Statistics, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1995
Tamar Kugler joined the Eller College of Management in 2004 after earning her PhD in Experimental and Social Psychology from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Her research interests include interactive decision-making, group decision-making, emotions and decision-making, trust and intergroup conflict.
- MGMT 486 Managerial Judgment and Decision Making
- MGMT 582C Univariate Analysis in Management
- MGMT 582D Multivariate Analysis
- Strategic and interactive thinking
- Statistics and research methods
- Judgment and decision making
Publications and Working Papers
- Motro, D. J., Kugler, T., and Connolly, T. (In Press). Back to the basics: How feelings of anger affect cooperation, International Journal of Conflict Resolution.
- Cooper, D. A., Connolly, T., and Kugler, T. (2015) Lay personality theories in interactive decisions: Strong beliefs, weak Evidence, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 28, 201-213.
- Kugler, T., Neeman, Z. and Vulkan, N. (2014) Personality traits and strategic behavior: anxiousness, aggressiveness and entry games. Journal of Economic Psychology, 42, 136-147.
- Kugler, T. and Bornstein, G. (2013). Social Dilemmas between Individuals and Groups. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 120, 191-205.
- Kugler, T., Kausel, E. E. and Kocher M. G. (2012). Interactive decision making in groups. Are groups more rational than individuals? Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Cognitive Science, 3, 471-482.
- Kugler, T., Connolly, T. and Ordóñez, L. D. (2012). Emotion, decision and risk: betting on gambles vs. betting on people, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 25, 123-134.
- Kugler T., Rapoport A., and Pazy A. (2010) Public good provision in inter-group conflicts: Effects of asymmetry and profit-sharing rule. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 23,421-438.
- Crawford, V., Kugler, T., Neeman, Z. and Pauzner, A. (2009). Behaviorally optimal auctions. Journal of the European Economic Association, 7, 377-387.
- Kugler, T. and Szidarovszky, F. (2009). An inter-group conflict and its relation to oligopoly theory, CUBO, Mathematical Journal, 11, 127-138.
- Kugler, T., Connolly, T., and Kausel, E. E. (2009). The effects of consequential thinking on trust game behavior. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 22, 101-119.
- Rapoport, A., Kugler, T., Dugar, S. And Gisches, E. J. (2009). Choice of routes in traffic networks: Experimental tests of the Braess paradox. Games and Economic Behavior, 65,538-571.
- Kugler, T., Smith J. C., Connolly, T. and Son Y. J. (Eds.) (2008). Decision modeling and behavior in uncertain and complex environments. Springer.
- Rapoport, A., Kugler, T., Dugar, S. And Gisches, E. J. (2008). Braess paradox in the laboratory: An experimental study of route choice in traffic networks with asymmetric costs. In Kugler, T., Smith J. C., Connolly, T. and Son Y. J. (Eds.) Decision modeling and behavior in uncertain and complex environments. Springer, 309-337.
- Bornstein, G., Kugler, T., Budescu, D. V., and Selten R. (2008). Repeated price competition between teams. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 66, 808-821.
Selected Working Papers
- Goldman, B. M., Cooper, D. A., and Kugler, T. The effects of background checks and “ban the box” methods on employment discrimination against minorities. Manuscript in writing.
- Cardella, E., Kugler, T. and Anderson, J. S. Behavioral implications of greed perceptions: Does greed foster greed? Manuscript in writing.
- Motro, D., Evans, J. B., Hart, E. and Kugler, T. Lie to me: the effect of emotions on deception detection. Data Collection in Progress.
- Schilke, O., Kugler, T., Connolly, T., and Evans, J. B. Sensitivity to Trustworthiness Cues: do groups differ from individuals? Data Collection in Progress.
- Kugler, T., Noussair, C. and Connolly, T. The Emotional Correlated of Trust and Trustworthiness. Study in preparation.
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making
- Academy of Management
- The International Conference on Social Dilemmas (executive board)
- Editorial boards: Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, Journal of Trust Research; Journal of Economic Psychology.
- Ad hoc referee: Games and Economic Behavior; Journal of Mathematical Psychology; International Journal of Game Theory; Experimental Economics; Journal of Management; Journal of Behavioral Decision Making; Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization; Journal of Judgment and Decision Making; Journal of Public Economic Theory; Theory and Decision; Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes; American Economic Review; Psychologica Belgica; Scandinavian Journal of Economics; American Political Science Review; Israeli Science Foundation (ISF); Binational Science Foundation (BSF); National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Program and Organizing Committee, Tucson workshop on Computational and Behavioral Decision Making (2008).
- Program committee, XIV International Conference on Social Dilemmas, 2011.
Awards and Honors
- Eller College Small Grant Program-The Emotional Correlates of Trust and Trustworthiness Decisions (joint with Terry Connolly and Charles Noussair).
- Center for Leadership Ethics, Behavioral Implications of Greed Perceptions: Does Greed Foster Greed?
- Eller Dean’s Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, 2012.
- National Science Foundation–PI (joint with Lisa Ordonez and Terry Connolly)–Emotions and Decision Making (2008-2011) ($322,000)
- National Science Foundation–PI-Team Decision Making with Social Preferences, Theory and Experiments (2008-2011) ($138,000).