Associate Professor of Management and Organizations
McClelland Hall 405BB
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Interactive decision making
- Emotions and decision making
- Inter-group conflict
- Group decision making
PhD, Experimental and Social Psychology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2004
MA, Cognitive Psychology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1999
BA, Psychology and Statistics, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 1995
Tamar Kugler joined the Eller College of Management in 2004 after earning her PhD in Experimental and Social Psychology from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Her research interests include interactive decision-making, group decision-making, emotions and decision-making, trust and intergroup conflict.
- MGMT 486 Managerial Judgment and Decision Making
- MGMT 582C Univariate Analysis in Management
- MGMT 582D Multivariate Analysis
- Strategic and interactive thinking
- Statistics and research methods
- Judgment and decision making
- Kugler, T., Noussair, C.N. and Hatch. D.B. (In press). Does Disgust Increase Unethical Behavior? A Replication of Winterich, Mittal, and Morales (2014). Social Psychological and Personality Science.
- Kugler, T., Motro, D.J., Noussair, C. N., and Ye, B (2020). On trust and disgust: Evidence from face reading and virtual reality, Social Psychological and Personality Science, 11, 317-325.
- Motro, D.J., Ye, B., Kugler, T., and Noussair, C. N. (2019) Measuring emotions in the digital age. MIT Sloane Management Review, 6(1), 1-4, https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/measuring-emotions-in-the-digital-age/.
- Cardella, E., Kugler, T. and Anderson, J. S., Connolly, T (2019). Is greed contagious? Four experimental studies, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 32, 579-598.
- Goldman, B., Cooper, D. A., and Kugler, T. (2019). Crime and punishment: A realistic group conflict theory approach to racial discrimination in hiring convicted felons. International Journal of Conflict Management, 30, 2-23.
- Motro, D. J., Kugler, T., and Connolly, T. (2016). Back to the basics: How feelings of anger affect cooperation, International Journal of Conflict Management, 27, 523-546.
- Cooper, D. A., Connolly, T., and Kugler, T. (2015) Lay personality theories in interactive decisions: Strong beliefs, weak Evidence, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 28, 201-213.
- Kugler, T., Neeman, Z. and Vulkan, N. (2014) Personality traits and strategic behavior: anxiousness, aggressiveness and entry games. Journal of Economic Psychology, 42, 136-147.
- Kugler, T. and Bornstein, G. (2013). Social Dilemmas between Individuals and Groups. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 120, 191-205.
- Kugler, T., Kausel, E. E. and Kocher M. G. (2012). Interactive decision making in groups. Are groups more rational than individuals? Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Cognitive Science, 3, 471-482.
- Kugler, T., Connolly, T. and Ordóñez, L. D. (2012). Emotion, decision and risk: betting on gambles vs. betting on people, Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 25, 123-134.
- Kugler T., Rapoport A., and Pazy A. (2010) Public good provision in inter-group conflicts: Effects of asymmetry and profit-sharing rule. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 23, 421-438.
- Crawford, V., Kugler, T., Neeman, Z. and Pauzner, A. (2009). Behaviorally optimal auctions. Journal of the European Economic Association, 7, 377-387.
- Kugler, T. and Szidarovszky, F. (2009). An inter-group conflict and its relation to oligopoly theory, CUBO, Mathematical Journal, 11, 127-138.
- Kugler, T., Connolly, T., and Kausel, E. E. (2009). The effects of consequential thinking on trust game behavior. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 22, 101-119.
- Rapoport, A., Kugler, T., Dugar, S. and Gisches, E. J. (2009). Choice of routes in traffic networks: Experimental tests of the Braess paradox. Games and Economic Behavior, 65, 538-571.
- Kugler, T., Smith J. C., Connolly, T. and Son Y. J. (Eds.) (2008). Decision modeling and behavior in uncertain and complex environments. Springer.
- Rapoport, A., Kugler, T., Dugar, S. and Gisches, E. J. (2008). Braess paradox in the laboratory: An experimental study of route choice in traffic networks with asymmetric costs. In Kugler, T., Smith J. C., Connolly, T. and Son Y. J. (Eds.) Decision modeling and behavior in uncertain and complex environments. Springer, 309-337.
- Bornstein, G., Kugler, T., Budescu, D. V. and Selten R. (2008). Repeated price competition between teams. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 66, 808-821.
- Kugler, T., Kocher, M. G., Sutter, M. and Bornstein G. (2007). Trust between individuals and groups: Groups are less trusting than individuals but just as trustworthy, Journal of Economic Psychology, 28, 646-657.
- Kugler, T., Neeman, Z. and Vulkan, N. (2006) Markets vs. negotiations: An experimental investigation. Games and Economics Behavior, 56, 121-134.
- Frost, R., Kugler T., Duestch A. and Forster, K. I. (2005). Orthographic structure versus morphological structure: Principles of lexical organization in a given language. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory and Cognition, 31, 1293-1326.
- Bornstein, G., Kugler, T. and Zamir, S. (2005). One group must win; the other need only not lose: An experimental study of an asymmetric participation game. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 18, 1-13.
- Bornstein, G., Kugler, T. and Ziegelmeyer, A. (2004) Individual and group decisions in the centipede game: Are groups more rational players? Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 40, 599-605.
- Baker, T. Harel, A. and Kugler T. (2004). The virtues of uncertainty in law: An experimental approach, Iowa Law Review, 89, 443.
Selected Working Papers
- Kugler, T., Addler, M., Noussair, C.N. and Hatch, D.B. From unethical to prosocial behavior: The role of guilt and cognitive processing style. Revise and Resubmit at Journal of Behavioral Decision Making.
- Bohm, R., Halevy, N. and Kugler, T. How Defaults Shape War and Peace. Under review at Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes*
- The authors contributed equally and are listed alphabetically
- Podsakoff, N.P., Kugler, T. Hatch, D.B., and MacGowan, R.L. Evaluating emotion elicitation techniques: What are we manipulating? Writing in progress.
- Arora, P., Kugler, T. and Giardini, F. (2021). Social dilemmas: from competition to cooperation. In Garcia, S., Tor, A., and Elliot, A. The Oxford Handbook on the psychology of competition, Oxford University Press. Invited chapter in writing.
- Gisches, E. J., Kugler, T., Rapoport, A., and Seale D. A. Bilateral bargaining with incomplete information: Trading single vs. multiple objects in the laboratory. Writing in progress.
- Kugler, T., Ert, E. and Ye, B. Trust Between and Within Group. Data collection in progress.
- Kugler, T., Cardella, E. and Mao, K.Z. The outcomes of forced distribution ratings in organizations, Data collection in progress.
- Mao, K.Z. and Kugler, T. Task promotability, task allocation, and employee effort, Data collection in progress.
- Society for Judgment and Decision Making
- Academy of Management
- Economic Science Association
- The International Conference on Social Dilemmas (Executive Board Member)
- Editorial boards: Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, Journal of Trust Research; Journal of Economic Psychology.
- Ad hoc referee: Games and Economic Behavior; Journal of Mathematical Psychology; International Journal of Game Theory; Experimental Economics; Journal of Management; Journal of Behavioral Decision Making; Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization; Journal of Judgment and Decision Making; Journal of Public Economic Theory; Theory and Decision; Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes; American Economic Review; Psychologica Belgica; Scandinavian Journal of Economics; American Political Science Review; Israeli Science Foundation (ISF); Binational Science Foundation (BSF); National Science Foundation (NSF).
Awards and Grants
- Binational Science Foundation – PI – (joint with Eyal Ert) - Trust Between and Within Groups ($198,000), 2019-2022.
- Eller College Small Grant Program (joint with Charles Noussair), 2018 – Women’s Empowerment as a Tool for Fighting Poverty in India: Behavioral Impacts ($3000).
- Eller College Small Grant Program-The Emotional Correlates of Trust and Trustworthiness Decisions (joint with Terry Connolly and Charles Noussair).
- Center for Leadership Ethics, Behavioral Implications of Greed Perceptions: Does Greed Foster Greed?
- Eller Dean’s Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, 2012.
- National Science Foundation–PI (joint with Lisa Ordonez and Terry Connolly)–Emotions and Decision Making (2008-2011) ($322,000)
- National Science Foundation–PI-Team Decision Making with Social Preferences, Theory and Experiments (2008-2011) ($138,000).