Professor of Marketing and Eller Professor
McClelland Hall 320Q
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Innovation and business models
- Social interactions and new media
- Marketing strategies for media and cultural products, especially movie marketing
- Competitive strategies for business and nonprofits
- Firm strategies during product-harm crisis
PhD in Marketing, University of British Columbia
Yong Liu joined the Eller College of Management in 2006. Before coming to Eller, he was an assistant professor of marketing at Syracuse University, which he joined after earning his PhD in Business Administration (Marketing) from the University of British Columbia in 2002. His areas of expertise include innovation and business models, social interactions and new media, marketing strategies for media and cultural products, competitive strategies for businesses and nonprofits and firm strategies during product-harm crisis.
- MKTG 459 Innovation and Product Management
- MKTG 559 Innovation and Product Strategy
- MKTG 579 Marketing of Innovation
- MKTG 696 Special Topics in Marketing Research-Theoretical Models
- Marketing strategy
- Innovation & new product strategies
- Entrepreneurship & innovation
- Business analytics
- Entertainment industries marketing
- Social media
Editorial roles at academic journals
Marketing Science: Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Marketing: Editorial Board Member
Journal of Retailing: Associate Editor
Decision Sciences: Associate Editor
Organizational/leadership roles at academic conferences
- Organizing Committee Member, China Marketing International Conference (CMIC), Shanghai, China, July 2018.
- Track Chair, Product Policy and Product Recall Strategies, China Marketing International Conference (CMIC), Shanghai, China, July 2018.
- Chair of Entertainment Analytics Track, INFORMS 2016 Annual Conference, Nashville, TN, November 2016.
- Co-chair (Media & Entertainment Track), American Marketing Association Winter Educator’s Conference, February 2016.
- Chair of Program Committee, Binhai International Research Forum in Management Science, Tianjin, China, June 2016, 2015, 2014.
- Chair of Program Committee, Research Forum on Marketing, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Shanghai, China, June 2013, 2011, 2009
- Faculty Coordinator, The Lisle & Roslyn Payne University of Arizona/Arizona State University Research Symposium, Tucson, AZ, April 2013.
- Co-chair (Marketing Research and Technology Track),American Marketing Association Summer Educator’s Conference, August 2009.
- Coordinator, BCRST Annual Marketing Conference (University of Buffalo, Cornell University, University of Rochester, Syracuse University, University of Toronto), May 2005.
- Shanghai Advanced Institute of Finance (SAIF), China, 2017 (May-July).
- University of Sydney, Australia, 2015 (May-June).
Selected Recent Publications
- Lin, Mingfeng, Yong Liu and Siva Viswanathan (2018), "Effectiveness of Reputation in Contracting for Customized Production: Evidence from Online Labor Markets," Management Science, 64 (1): 345-359.
- Liu, Angela Xia, Yong Liu and Ting Luo (2016), "What Drives a Firm's Choice of Product Recall Remedy? The Impact of Remedy Cost, Product Hazard, and the CEO," Journal of Marketing, 80 (3): 79-95.
- Liu, Yong, Shirley Mai and Jun Yang (2015), "Network Externalities in Online Video Games: An Empirical Analysis Utilizing Online Product Ratings," Marketing Letters, 26(4), 679-690.
- Zhang, Jurui, Yong Liu and Yubo Chen (2015), “Social Learning in Networks of Friends versus Strangers,” Marketing Science, 34 (4), July-August: 573-589.
- Liu, Angela Xia, Yong Liu and Tridib Mazumdar (2013), “Star Power in the Eye of the Beholder: A Study of the Influence of Stars in the Movie Industry,” Marketing Letters, August, pp. 1-12. Lead article.
- Chen, Yubo, Yong Liu, and Jurui Zhang (2012), “When Do Third-party Product Reviews Affect Firm Value and What Can Firms Do? The Case of Media Critics and Professional Movie Reviews,” Journal of Marketing, 76 (2): 116-134.
- Li, Xiarong, Daniel Zeng, Yong Liu, and Yanwu Yang (2011), “Click Fraud and the Adverse Effects on Competition,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, 26 (6): 31-39.
- Chakravarty, Anindita, Yong Liu, and Tridib Mazumdar (2010), “The Differential Effects of Online Word-of-Mouth and Critics’ Reviews on Pre-release Movie Evaluation,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 24 (3): 185-197. This paper is a runner-up for the 2011 JIM Best Paper Award. This paper was a runner-up for the 2011 JIM Best Paper Award.
- Liu, Yong, Yubo Chen, Robert F. Lusch, Hsinchun Chen, David Zimbra, and Shuo Zeng (2010), "User-Generated Content on Social Media: Predicting New Product Market Success from Online Word-of-Mouth," IEEE: Intelligent Systems, 25 (1): 75-78.
- Chen, Yubo, Shankar Ganesan, and Yong Liu (2009), “Does a Firm’s Product Recall Strategy Affect Its Financial Value? An Examination of Strategic Alternatives during Product-harm Crises,” Journal of Marketing, 73 (6): 214-226.
- Zhao, Xuan, Derek Atkins and Yong Liu (2009) "Effects of Distribution Channel Structure in Markets with Vertically Differentiated Products," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 7 (4): 377-397.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Eller Evening MBA Most Valuable Professor (Phoenix) Nomination, 2017
- The 52nd AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Faculty, University of Iowa, 2017
- The 51st AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Faculty, University of Notre Dame, 2016
- Eller College Dean's Course Innovation Award, 2016
- Eller College Dean's Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, 2015
- University of Arizona Honors College Outstanding Thesis Advisor Award, 2015
- Executive MBA Faculty Award for Outstanding Module, 2010-2011.
- Journal of Retailing Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2011.
- Journal of Interactive Marketing Best Paper Award Runner-up, 2011.
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2009
- Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Young Scholar, 2007.