Marketing Department Head
Robert A. Eckert Endowed Chair in Marketing
McClelland Hall 320Q
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Innovation and business models
- Social interactions and new media
- Marketing strategies for media and cultural products, especially movie marketing
- Competitive strategies for business and nonprofits
- Firm strategies during product-harm crisis
PhD in Marketing, University of British Columbia
Yong Liu joined the Eller College of Management in 2006. Before coming to Eller, he was an assistant professor of marketing at Syracuse University, which he joined after earning his PhD in Business Administration (Marketing) from the University of British Columbia in 2002. His areas of expertise include innovation and business models, social interactions and new media, marketing strategies for media and cultural products, competitive strategies for businesses and nonprofits and firm strategies during product-harm crisis.
- MKTG 555A Business Experimentation and Analytics (MS Business Analytics)
- MKTG 579 Marketing of Innovation (Online MBA, Executive MBA, Eller Executive Education)
- MKTG 696 Marketing Models and Quantitative Marketing Research (PhD)
- MKTG 696 Marketing Theory (PhD)
- Marketing strategy
- Innovation and new product strategies
- Entrepreneurship and innovation
- Business analytics
- Entertainment industries marketing
- Social media
Editorial roles at academic journals
- Marketing Science: Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Marketing: Editorial Board Member
- Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science: Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Retailing: Associate Editor
- Decision Sciences: Associate Editor
Organizational/leadership roles at academic conferences
- Co-Chair, Summer Marketing Workshop, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, China, June, 2019.
- Chair, Business Research Forum, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China, July, 2019.
- Co-Chair (Innovation and Product Strategy), China Marketing International Conference (CMIC), Guangzhou, China, July 2019.
- Organizing Committee Member, China Marketing International Conference (CMIC), Shanghai, China, July 2018
- Track Chair, Product Policy and Product Recall Strategies, China Marketing International Conference (CMIC), Shanghai, China, July 2018
- Chair of Entertainment Analytics Track, INFORMS 2016 Annual Conference, Nashville, TN, November 2016
- Co-chair (Media & Entertainment Track), American Marketing Association Winter Educator’s Conference, February 2016
- Chair of Program Committee, Binhai International Research Forum in Management Science, Tianjin, China, June 2016, 2015, 2014
- Chair of Program Committee, Research Forum on Marketing, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Shanghai, China, June 2013, 2011, 2009
- Faculty Coordinator, The Lisle & Roslyn Payne University of Arizona/Arizona State University Research Symposium, Tucson, AZ, April 2013
- Co-chair (Marketing Research and Technology Track), American Marketing Association Summer Educator’s Conference, August 2009
- Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, multiple time periods.
- Lingnan University, Hong Kong, China, 2019 (October-November).
- China-Europe International Business School, Shanghai, China, 2018 (December).
- Shanghai Advanced Institute of Finance (SAIF), China, 2017 (May-July).
- University of Sydney, Australia, 2015 (May-June).
Selected Recent Publications
- “Branding Cultural Products in International Markets: A Study of Hollywood Movies in China,” Journal of Marketing, 2020, 84 (3): 86-105. (with W. Gao, L. Ji, and Q. Sun)
- “Media Coverage of Climate Change and Sustainable Product Consumption: Evidence from Hybrid Vehicle Market,” Journal of Marketing Research, 2019, 56 (6): 995-1011. (with Y. Chen, M. Ghosh and L. Zhao)
- "Effectiveness of Reputation in Contracting for Customized Production: Evidence from Online Labor Markets," Management Science, 2018, 64 (1): 345-359. (with M. Lin and S. Viswanathan)
- "What Drives a Firm's Choice of Product Recall Remedy? The Impact of Remedy Cost, Product Hazard and the CEO," Journal of Marketing, 2016, 80 (3): 79-95 (with A. Xia and T. Luo)
- "Network Externalities in Online Video Games: An Empirical Analysis Utilizing Online Product Ratings," Marketing Letters, 2015, 26(4), 679-690. (with S. Mai and J. Yang)
- “Social Learning in Networks of Friends versus Strangers,” Marketing Science, 2015, 34 (4), July-August: 573-589 (with J. Zhang and Y. Chen)
- “Star Power in the Eye of the Beholder: A Study of the Influence of Stars in the Movie Industry,” Marketing Letters, 2013, August, pp. 1-12, Lead article (with A. Xia and T. Mazumdar)
- “When Do Third-party Product Reviews Affect Firm Value and What Can Firms Do? The Case of Media Critics and Professional Movie Reviews,” Journal of Marketing, 2012, 76 (2): 116-134 (with Y. Chen and J. Zhang)
- “Click Fraud and the Adverse Effects on Competition,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, 2011, 26 (6): 31-39 (with X. Li, D. Zeng and Y. Yang)
- “The Differential Effects of Online Word-of-Mouth and Critics’ Reviews on Pre-release Movie Evaluation,” Journal of Interactive Marketing, 2010, 24 (3): 185-197 (runner-up for the 2011 JIM Best Paper Award (with A. Chakravarty and T. Mazumdar)
- "User-Generated Content on Social Media: Predicting New Product Market Success from Online Word-of-Mouth," IEEE: Intelligent Systems, 2010, 25 (1): 75-78 (with Y. Chen, R. Lusch, H. Chen, D. Zimbra and S. Zeng)
- “Does a Firm’s Product Recall Strategy Affect Its Financial Value? An Examination of Strategic Alternatives during Product-harm Crises,” Journal of Marketing, 2009, 73 (6): 214-226 (with Y. Chen and S. Ganesan)
- "Effects of Distribution Channel Structure in Markets with Vertically Differentiated Products," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 2009, 7 (4): 377-397 (with X. Zhao and D. Atkins)
Selected Awards and Honors
- Eller Evening MBA Most Valuable Professor (Phoenix) Nomination, 2017
- The 52nd AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Faculty, University of Iowa, 2017
- The 51st AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Faculty, University of Notre Dame, 2016
- Eller College Dean's Course Innovation Award, 2016
- Eller College Dean's Award for Undergraduate Teaching Excellence, 2015
- University of Arizona Honors College Outstanding Thesis Advisor Award, 2015
- Executive MBA Faculty Award for Outstanding Module, 2010-2011
- Journal of Retailing Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2011
- Journal of Interactive Marketing Best Paper Award Runner-up, 2011
- Management Science Meritorious Service Award, 2009
- Marketing Science Institute (MSI) Young Scholar, 2007