Eller Professor of Management and Organizations
McClelland Hall 405KK
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Leader personality and well-being
- Counterproductive and unethical behavior in organizations
- Recruitment and job search
- Pre-employment selection tests
PhD in Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Bowling Green State University, 2000
Jerel Slaughter joined the Eller College of Management in 2002. Before coming to Eller, he worked as an assistant professor at Louisiana State University, which he joined after earning his PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology from Bowling Green State University. His areas of expertise include recruitment and applicant attraction, counterproductive and unethical behavior in organizations, pre-employment selection tests and leader personality and well-being. He is currently affiliated with the Academy of Management, the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology and the Association for Psychological Science, and was elected as a fellow of SIOP in 2022. He served as the Department Head for Management and Organizations from 2014 to 2019.
MGMT 310A Organizational Behavior
MGMT 503 Human Resource Management
- Leader Personality and Well-Being
- Counterproductive and Unethical Behavior in Organizations
- Recruitment and Job Search
- Pre-Employment Selection Tests
- Cooper, D. A., Slaughter, J. E., Gilliland, S. W. (2021). Reducing injuries, malingering, and workers’ compensation costs by implementing overt integrity testing. Journal of Business and Psychology, 36, 495-512.
- Gabriel, A. S., MacGowan, R. L., Ganster, M., & Slaughter, J. E. (2021). The influence of COVID-induced job search anxiety and conspiracy beliefs on job search effort: A within-person investigation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 106, 657-573.
- Gabriel, A. S., Ganster, M., Slaughter, J. E., & MacGowan, R. L. (2021). The emotional complexities of the COVID-19 pandemic and organizational life. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 14, 85-89.
- Slaughter, J. E., Gabriel, A. S., Ganster, M., Vaziri, H., MacGowan, R. L. (2021). Getting worse or getting better? Understanding the antecedents and consequences of emotion profile transitions during COVID-19-induced organizational crisis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 106, 1118-1136.
- Slaughter, J. E., Cooper, D. A., Gilliland, S. W. (2020). Good apples in good barrels: Conscientious people are more responsive to code enforcement. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology.
- Chawla, N., Gabriel, A. S., da Motta Veiga, S., Slaughter, J. E. (2019). Does feedback matter for job search self-regulation? It depends on feedback quality. Personnel Psychology, 72, 513-541.
- Evans, J. B., Slaughter, J. E., Ellis, A. P. J., & Rivin, J. (2019). Gender and the evaluation of humor at work. Journal of Applied Psychology, 104, 1077-1087.
- Evans, J. B., Slaughter, J. E., Ellis, A. P. J., & Rivin, J.(2019).Making jokes during a presentation helps men but hurts women.Harvard Business Review.
- Kausel E. E., Slaughter, J. E., Evans, J. M., & Stein, J. (2019). Do findings from laboratory experiments on preferential selection generalize to cognitively-oriented tasks? A test of two perspectives. Journal of Business and Psychology, 34, 587-601.
- Slaughter, J. E., & Evans, J. B. (2017). Organizational image and reputation. In R. W. Griffin (Ed.), Oxford Bibliographies in Management. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Slaughter, J. E., & Reb, J. (2016). Decision making processes. In S. G. Rogelberg (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Industrial/Organizational Psychology (2nd edition). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lievens, F., & Slaughter, J. E. (2016). Employer image and employer branding: What we know, and what we need to know. In F. P. Morgeson (Ed.), Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior (vol. 3, pp. 407-440). Palo Alto, CA: Annual Reviews.
- Kausel, E. E., Culbertson, S. S., Leiva, P. I., Slaughter, J. E., & Jackson, A. T. (2015). Too arrogant for their own good? Why and when narcissists dismiss advice. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 131, 33-50.
- Slaughter, J. E., Cable, D. M., & Turban, D. B. (2014). Changing job seekers’ image perceptions during recruitment visits: The moderating role of belief confidence. Journal of Applied Psychology, 99, 1146-1158.
- Slaughter, J. E., Christian, M. S., Podsakoff, N. P., Sinar, E. F, & Lievens, F. (2014). On the limitations of using situational judgment tests to measure interpersonal skills: The moderating influence of employee anger. Personnel Psychology, 67, 847-885.
- Academy of Management
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Association for Psychological Science
- Journal of Applied Psychology - Editorial Board (2008 - Present)
- Personnel Psychology - Editorial Board (2011 - Present)
- Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology - Editorial Board (2009 - 2015)
- Negotiation and Conflict Management Research - Editorial Board (2006 - Present)
- Personnel Assessment and Decisions – Editorial Board (2013-present)
- Journal of Management - Editorial Board (2006 - 2009)
- Journal of Business and Psychology - Associate Editor (2009 - 2012)
Awards and Honors
- Elected Fellow, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2022
- Eller Professorship, 2016-present
- Stephen P. Robbins Professorship, 2013-2016
- Brian Lesk Faculty Fellowship, 2006-2013
- Outstanding Reviewer Recognition, AOM OB Division, 2006, 2013
- Recognition of Top-Rated Poster Submissions, SIOP, 2006
- Student Alumni Association Teacher Appreciation Award, 2004