Eller Professor of Management Information Systems
McClelland Hall 430CC
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Deception and fraud detection
- Human-computer interaction
- Technology-mediated group decision making
PhD, The University of Arizona
MBA, University of Montana
BS in Computer Science, University of Montana
Joe Valacich is a fellow of the Association for Information Systems (AIS) and is a co-founder, chairman and chief science officer of Neuro-ID, Inc. He is a prolific scholar, publishing more than 250 scholarly articles in numerous prestigious journals and conferences. In eary 2020, Google Scholar lists his citation counts at more than 27,000, with an H-index of 75. He also has multiple issued and pending patents focused on analyzing fine-grained human-computer interaction data to infer user intent and confidence. Software based on this work is being used by many of the world’s leading online lenders, processing millions of customer account applications per month. He earned his PhD in MIS at the University of Arizona in 1989. He also has a BS in computer science and an MBA from the University of Montana.
- MIS 585 Strategic Management of Information Systems
- MIS 541 Information Systems Analysis and Design
- Wood, D., Pickard, M., Schuetzler, R., & Valacich, J.S. (in press). Next-Generation Accounting Interviewing: A Comparison of Human and Embodied Conversational Agents (ECAs) as Interviewers. The Accounting Review.
- Benjamin, V., Valacich, J.S., & Chen, H. (2019). DICE-E: A Framework for Conducting Darknet Identification, Collection, Evaluation, with Ethics. MIS Quarterly, 43(1), 1-22. DOI: 10.25300/MISQ/2019/13808.
- Jenkins, J.L., Proudfoot, J.G., Valacich, J.S., Grimes, G.M., & Nunamaker, Jr., J.F. (2019). Sleight of hand: Identifying malicious insider threats through the monitoring of mouse-cursor movements. Journal for the Association for Information Systems; 20(1), Article 3. DOI: 10.17705/1jais.00527
- Valacich, J.S., Wang, X., & Jessup, L.M. (2018). Did I Buy the Wrong Gadget? How Easy and Difficult to Evaluate Technology Features Influence Product Choice. MIS Quarterly, 42:2, 633-644. DOI: 10.25300/MISQ/2018/12847
- Hibbeln, M., Jenkins, J., Schneider, C., Valacich. J.S., & Weinmann, M. (2017). How is Your User Feeling? Inferring Emotion Through Human-Computer Interaction Devices. MIS Quarterly, 41, 1-21. DOI: 10.25300/MISQ/2017/41.1.01.
- Chatterjee, S., Valacich, J.S., & Sarker, Suprateek (2015). The Behavioral Roots of Information Systems Security: Exploring Key Factors Related to Unethical IT Use. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 31(4), 49-87. DOI: 10.1080/0721222.2014.1001257.
- George, J.F., Carlson, J., & Valacich, J.S. (2013). Media Selection as a Strategic Component of Deceptive Communication. MIS Quarterly, 37(4), 1233-1251.
- Campbell, D.E., Wells, J.D., & Valacich, J.S. (2013). Breaking the Ice in B2C Relationships: Understanding Initial Perceptions of Websites with the eCommerce Attraction Model. Information Systems Research, 24(2), 219-238.
- Wells, J.D., Valacich, J.S., & Hess, T. (2011). What Signal are you Sending? How Consumer-Facing Technology Influences Perceptions of Quality. MIS Quarterly, 35(2), 373-397.
- Sarker, S. & Valacich, J.S. (2010). An Alternative to Methodological Individualism: A Microfoundational Approach to Studying Technology Adoption by Groups. MIS Quarterly, 34(4), 779-808.
- Jung, J.H., Schneider, C., & Valacich, J.S. (2010). Enhancing the Motivational Affordance of Group Collaboration Environments: The Effects of Real-Time Performance Feedback and Goal Setting. Management Science, 56(4), 724-742.
- Parboteeah, D.V., Valacich, J.S., & Wells, J.D. (2009) The Influence of Website Characteristics on a Consumer’s Urge to Buy Impulsively. Information Systems Research, 20, 60-78.
- Sidorova, A., Evangelopoulos, N., Valacich, J.S., & Ramakrishnan, T. (2008). Uncovering the Intellectual Core of the Information Systems Discipline. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 467-482.
- Dennis, A.R., Fuller, R.M., & Valacich, J.S. (2008). Media, Tasks, and Communication Processes: A Theory of Media Synchronicity. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 475-500.
- PCT US14/43057—Identifying Deceptive Answers to Online Questions through human-computer interaction data. Issued. Expires: 2034-12-26.
- US 61/934,005—Fraudulent Application Detection System and Method of Use, Issued. Expires: 2035-03-22.
- The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS) (founding member)
Honors and Awards
2020, National Academy of Inventors, Elected to the rank of Senior Member.
2019, Ranked as an MIS Quarterly prolific scholar over its entire history (1977-2019).
2018, CIONET European Research Paper of the Year. CIONET.
2016, Innovation and Impact Award for Information Technology, University of Arizona, Tech Launch Arizona.
2013, Best Business Developed Serious Game; and Best Adaptive Force Award (selected by the Office of the Secretary of Defense). Serious Games Showcase & Challenge (SGS&C) at the Interservice / Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference (I/ITSEC).
2013, Distinguished Educator in Information Systems, Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP).
2012, Distinguished Alumni Award, The University of Montana Alumni Association.
2009, Outstanding Alumnus Award, School of Business Administration, University of Montana.
2009, AIS Fellow, Association for Information Systems, awarded at ICIS 2009.