Eller Professor of MIS
McClelland Hall 430CC
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Cyber security
- Deception and fraud detection
- Human-computer interaction
- Technology-mediated group decision-making
- Electronic commerce
PhD, University of Arizona
MBA, University of Montana
BS in Computer Science, University of Montana
Joseph Valacich is a fellow of the Association for Information Systems (AIS) and is a co-founder, chairman and chief science officer of Neuro-ID. He is also a member of the Association for Computing Machinery. Before joining Eller, Valacich was a professor of MIS at Washington State University. His primary research interests include deception detection, human-computer interaction, data visualization, cyber security and e-business. He earned his PhD at the University of Arizona in 1989.
- MIS 585 Strategic Management of Information Systems
- MIS 541 Information Systems Analysis and Design
- Benjamin, V., Valacich, J.S., & Chen, H. (in press). DICE-E: A Framework for Conducting Darknet Identification, Collection, Evaluation, with Ethics. MIS Quarterly.
- Jenkins, J.L., Proudfoot, J.G., Valacich, J.S., & Nunamaker, Jr., J.F. (in press). Sleight of hand: Identifying malicious insider threats through the monitoring of mouse-cursor movements. Journal for the Association for Information Systems.
- Valacich, J.S., Wang, X., & Jessup, L.M. (2018). Did I Buy the Wrong Gadget? How Easy and Difficult to Evaluate Technology Features Influence Product Choice. MIS Quarterly, 42:2, 633-644.
- Hibbeln, M., Jenkins, J., Schneider, C., Valacich. J., & Weinmann, M. (2017). How is Your User Feeling? Inferring Emotion Through Human-Computer Interaction Devices. MIS Quarterly, 41, 1-21.
- Chatterjee, S., Valacich, J.S., & Sarker, Suprateek (2015). Unethical Use of Information Technology: A Two-Country Study. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 31(4), 49-87.
- George, J.F., Carlson, J., & Valacich, J.S. (2013). Media Selection as a Strategic Component of Deceptive Communication. MIS Quarterly, 37(4), 1233-1251.
- Campbell, D.E., Wells, J.D., & Valacich, J.S. (2013). Breaking the Ice in B2C Relationships: Understanding Initial Perceptions of Websites with the eCommerce Attraction Model. Information Systems Research, 24(2), 219-238.
- Wells, J.D., Valacich, J.S., & Hess, T. (2011). What Signal are you Sending? How Consumer-Facing Technology Influences Perceptions of Quality. MIS Quarterly, 35(2), 373-397.
- Wells, J.D., Parboteeah, D., & Valacich, J.S. (2011). Online Impulse Buying: Understanding the Interplay Between Consumer Impulsiveness and Website Quality. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 12(1), 32-56.
- Sarker, S. & Valacich, J.S. (2010). An Alternative to Methodological Individualism: A Microfoundational Approach to Studying Technology Adoption by Groups. MIS Quarterly, 34(4), 779-808.
- Jung, J.H., Schneider, C., & Valacich, J.S. (2010). Enhancing the Motivational Affordance of Group Collaboration Environments: The Effects of Real-Time Performance Feedback and Goal Setting. Management Science, 56(4), 724-742.
- Parboteeah, D.V., Valacich, J.S., & Wells, J.D. (2009) The Influence of Website Characteristics on a Consumer’s Urge to Buy Impulsively. Information Systems Research, 20, 60-78.
- Sidorova, A., Evangelopoulos, N., Valacich, J.S., & Ramakrishnan, T. (2008). Uncovering the Intellectual Core of the Information Systems Discipline. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 467-482.
- Dennis, A.R., Fuller, R.M., & Valacich, J.S. (2008). Media, Tasks, and Communication Processes: A Theory of Media Synchronicity. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 475-500.
- The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS) (founding member)
Honors and Awards
- 2018, CIONET European Research Paper of the Year. CIONET. http://www.cionet.com/erpoty/.
- 2018, Ranked as an MIS Quarterly prolific scholar over its entire history (1977-2018).
- 2016, Innovation and Impact Award for Information Technology, University of Arizona, Tech Launch Arizona
- 2013, Best Business Developed Serious Game; and Best Adaptive Force Award (selected by the Office of the Secretary of Defense). Serious Games Showcase & Challenge (SGS&C) at the Interservice / Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference (I/ITSEC).
- 2013, Distinguished Educator in Information Systems, Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP).
- 2012, Distinguished Alumni Award, The University of Montana Alumni Association.
- 2009, AIS Fellow, Association for Information Systems, awarded at ICIS 2009.