Munsinger Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation
McClelland Hall 430CC
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Deception and fraud detection
- Human-computer interaction
- Technology-mediated group decision making
PhD, The University of Arizona
MBA, University of Montana
BS in Computer Science, University of Montana
Joseph (Joe) Valacich is a fellow of the Association for Information Systems (AIS) and is a co-founder, chairman and chief science officer of Neuro-ID, Inc. He is a prolific scholar, publishing more than 250 scholarly articles in numerous prestigious journals and conferences. Google Scholar lists his citation counts at more than 30,000, with an H-index of 78 (September 2022). He also has multiple issued and pending patents focused on analyzing fine-grained human-computer interaction data to infer user intent and confidence. Software based on this work is being used by many of the world’s leading online platforms and companies, processing the interaction behaviors for hundreds of millions of customers. He earned his PhD in MIS at the University of Arizona in 1989. He also has a BS in computer science and an MBA from the University of Montana.
- MIS 585 Strategic Management of Information Systems
- Weinmann, M., Valacich, J.S., Schneider, C., Jenkins, J.J., & Hibbeln, M. (in press). The Path of the Righteous: Using Trace Data to Understand Fraud Decisions in Real Time. MIS Quarterly.
- Jenkins, J.L., Valacich, J.S., Zimbelman, A., & Zimbelman, M. (in press). Detecting Noncompliant Behavior in Organizations: How Responses and Behaviors Reveal the Risk. Journal of Management Information Systems.
- Wood, D., Pickard, M., Schuetzler, R., & Valacich, J.S. (2020). Next-Generation Accounting Interviewing: A Comparison of Human and Embodied Conversational Agents (ECAs) as Interviewers. The Accounting Review, 95(6), 339-366. DOI: 10.2308/tar-2017-0235.
- Benjamin, V., Valacich, J.S., & Chen, H. (2019). DICE-E: A Framework for Conducting Darknet Identification, Collection, Evaluation, with Ethics. MIS Quarterly, 43(1), 1-22. DOI: 10.25300/MISQ/2019/13808.
- Jenkins, J.L., Proudfoot, J.G., Valacich, J.S., Grimes, G.M., & Nunamaker, Jr., J.F. (2019). Sleight of hand: Identifying malicious insider threats through the monitoring of mouse-cursor movements. Journal for the Association for Information Systems; 20(1), Article 3. DOI: 10.17705/1jais.00527
- Valacich, J.S., Wang, X., & Jessup, L.M. (2018). Did I Buy the Wrong Gadget? How Easy and Difficult to Evaluate Technology Features Influence Product Choice. MIS Quarterly, 42:2, 633-644. DOI: 10.25300/MISQ/2018/12847
- Hibbeln, M., Jenkins, J., Schneider, C., Valacich. J.S., & Weinmann, M. (2017). How is Your User Feeling? Inferring Emotion Through Human-Computer Interaction Devices. MIS Quarterly, 41, 1-21. DOI: 10.25300/MISQ/2017/41.1.01.
- Chatterjee, S., Valacich, J.S., & Sarker, Suprateek (2015). The Behavioral Roots of Information Systems Security: Exploring Key Factors Related to Unethical IT Use. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 31(4), 49-87. DOI: 10.1080/0721222.2014.1001257.
- George, J.F., Carlson, J., & Valacich, J.S. (2013). Media Selection as a Strategic Component of Deceptive Communication. MIS Quarterly, 37(4), 1233-1251.
- Campbell, D.E., Wells, J.D., & Valacich, J.S. (2013). Breaking the Ice in B2C Relationships: Understanding Initial Perceptions of Websites with the eCommerce Attraction Model. Information Systems Research, 24(2), 219-238.
- PCT US14/43057—Identifying Deceptive Answers to Online Questions through human-computer interaction data. Issued. Expires: 2034-12-26.
- US 61/934,005—Fraudulent Application Detection System and Method of Use, Issued. Expires: 2035-03-22.
- The National Academy of Inventors (NAI)
- The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS) (founding member)
Honors and Awards
- 2022 (Sept 2022), University of Arizona AI Lab Researcher Rankings. Ranked as the 15th most productive researcher (using Google Scholar H-index) in the MIS discipline. https://eller.arizona.edu/departments-research/centers-labs/artificial-i....
- 2021, Association for Information Systems (AIS), AIS Impact Award for Research Beyond Academia – Neuro-ID Behavioral Analytics.
- 2020, Tech Launch Arizona (University of Arizona), I-Squared (Innovation and Impact) Award, 2020 Startup of the Year – Neuro-ID, Inc.
- 2020, JAIS 2019 Best Paper Award: “Sleight of hand: identifying concealed information by monitoring mouse-cursor movements”. Journal for the Association for Information Systems.
- 2020, Lendit Fintech Industry Awards. Fintech Innovator of the Year Finalist (Neuro-ID). September 22.
- 2020, National Academy of Inventors, Elected to the rank of Senior Member.
- 2018, CIONET European Research Paper of the Year. CIONET.
- 2016, Inventor of the Year, Innovation and Impact Award for Information Technology, University of Arizona, Tech Launch Arizona.
- 2013, Best Business Developed Serious Game; and Best Adaptive Force Award (selected by the Office of the Secretary of Defense). Serious Games Showcase & Challenge (SGS&C) at the Interservice / Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference (I/ITSEC).
- 2013, Distinguished Educator in Information Systems, Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP).
- 2012, Distinguished Alumni Award, The University of Montana Alumni Association.
- 2009, Outstanding Alumnus Award, School of Business Administration, University of Montana.
- 2009, AIS Fellow, Association for Information Systems, awarded at ICIS 2009.