Third-Year Doctoral Student
Mahira (pronouns: she/her/hers) is a third-year doctoral student at the University of Arizona. She earned both her Bachelor of Science in Psychology and Bachelor of Arts in Spanish at Colorado State University in 2019. Mahira is interested in how individuals experience and cope with stress at work and how this relates to employees’ health, well-being, and motivation in both work and nonwork domains. She is also interested in how individuals engage in proactive behaviors such as leadership and organizational citizenship behaviors, as well as the outcomes of these actions in organizations.
- Employee motivation and well-being
- Proactive work behaviors
- Advanced research methods (e.g., experience sampling, latent profile analysis)
- Shockley, K. M., Gabriel, A. S., Robertson, D., Rosen, C. C., Chawla, N., Ganster, M. L., & Ezerins, M. E. (2021). The fatiguing effects of camera use in virtual meetings: A within-person field experiment. Journal of Applied Psychology, 106(8), 1137-1155.
- Slaughter, J. E., Gabriel, A. S., Ganster, M. L., Vaziri, H., & MacGowan, R. L. (2021). Getting worse or getting better? Understanding the antecedents and consequences of emotion profile transitions during COVID-19-induced organizational crisis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 106(8), 118-1136.
- Gabriel, A. S., MacGowan, R. L. Ganster, M. L., & Slaughter, J. E. (2021). The influence of COVID-induced job search anxiety and conspiracy beliefs on job search effort: A within-person investigation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 106(5), 657-673.
- Gabriel, A. S., Ganster, M. L., Slaughter, J. E., & MacGowan, R. L. (2021). The emotional complexities of the COVID-19 pandemic and organizational life. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science & Practice, 14(1-2), 85-89.
- Ganster, M. L., Gabriel, A. S., Campbell, J. T., Ezerins, M. E., Chawla, N., & Rosen, C. C. (2022, April). Understanding Configurations of Coping in Relation to Well-Being and Performance [Poster]. Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology Annual Conference, Seattle, Washington, United States.
Winner of the John C. Flanagan Award for Best Student Presentation, SIOP 2022
- Ganster, M. L., Gabriel, A. S., Rosen, C. C., Butts, M. M., & Boswell, W. R. (2021, August). The daily effects of partner-instigated incivility on helping at work. In M. L. Ganster & A. S. Gabriel (Chairs), Rethinking work-nonwork spillover: The critical role of work and nonwork relationships. Symposium presented at the 81st annual meeting of the Academy of Management, Virtual Conference.
- MacGowan, R.L., Ganster, M.L., & Slaughter, J.E. (2021, August). How COVID-induced job search anxiety affects new labor market entrants’ job search and well-being. Paper presented at the 81st annual meeting of the Academy of Management, Virtual Conference.
- Evans, J.B., Slaughter, J.E., & Ganster, M.L. (2021, April). Tossing and turning: The intrapersonal effects of active and passive CWB. In J. B. Evans & M. L. Ganster (Chairs). Does breaking bad hurt? Intrapersonal consequences of counterproductive work behavior. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Virtual Conference.
- Stevens, S. C., Crain, T. L., Ellis, A. M., & Ganster, M. L. (2019, April). Part of my job or none of my business? A look at leaders' FSSB role perceptions. Paper presented at the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology Annual Conference, National Harbor, Maryland, United States.
- Ganster, M. L., Leslie, J., Stevens, S., & Crain, T. (2018, April). Detecting fatigue across daily lives: A longitudinal validation of the AlertMeter app [Poster]. The 24th Annual Celebrate Undergraduate Research and Creativity (CURC) Showcase, Fort Collins, Colorado, United States.
- Hanscom, M. & Ganster, M. L. (2017, March). Perceptions of age and occupational safety: Can generational labels play a role? Poster presentation at the 9th Annual MAP ERC Research Day Symposium, Denver, Colorado, United States.
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Academy of Management (Organizational Behavior, Human Resources, and Research Methods divisions)