Available online starting Summer 2020
The finance minor is a customized 18-unit program available to non-Eller and non-BSBA Eller Students. The curriculum is designed with two prerequisite courses to be taken during the academic year, with four core courses to be taken during the summer.
Three of the four summer finance minor courses are now offered online, with the option of taking Summer 1 courses in person.
The goal of the finance minor program is to promote financial literacy. In an increasingly complex financial environment, university graduates in all disciplines will require financial management knowledge and understanding in both their professional careers and their personal lives. Specifically, young professionals must know financial terminology, how to manage budgets, how to carefully invest money and resources and how to analyze financial decisions.
This finance minor provides students with an understanding of basic financial theory, applied financial analysis and financial markets. Elective courses include Principles of Financial Management, Personal Investing, Small Business Finance and Real Estate Principles. Students learn basic concepts through lectures and case studies.
Residency in Tucson is optional if only three finance minor electives are needed. Online courses are offered in summer presession, summer I and summer II for any finance minor student. On campus, in-person courses are also offered for summer I classes.
A minor that employers value and will help you the rest of your financial life: Today’s employers are looking for students who can immediately add value. Understanding finance allows you to differentiate yourself from other students. Moreover, the program will allow you to take charge of your own financial future.
Guaranteed Registration: You can be registered in the finance required and elective courses so that completion of the minor is not dependent on gaining admission to the needed classes that might be closed.
Fast Completion: After taking the required courses, the finance minor electives will be completed in one summer of full-time attendance.
Commitments: The Finance Department will make it possible for admitted students to complete the Finance minor in one summer. As a finance minor student, you must commit to registering for the entire block of courses in one summer.
Requirements and Policies
- Students must have completed college algebra or higher math to be eligible for admission.
- Six three-unit courses (18 units total).
- Minimum nine units upper division coursework.
- At least nine units must be completed in residence at the University of Arizona.
- Minimum 2.0 grade point average (GPA) needed in minor.
- Can be taken along with business administration minor, management minor, marketing minor, or sports management minor.
- Eller does not permit double use of courses in their majors or minors with majors or minors outside of the College. Unique units are required for the student’s major and minor.
- The Finance minor is also available through the Arizona Online campus.
The cost of the finance minor depends on the number of courses you need to take for the minor and will be affected by your major degree or other minors you are completing. Generally, the summer cost of the program is based on Arizona Resident tuition for all students, whether you are an Arizona Resident or an out-of-state resident. Students generally take 12 to 15 units during the summer to complete the minor requirements. Tuition cost is available at the UA Bursar's Office website here (input Summer semester, Main Campus, Undergraduate, Not Listed and Resident, then Show Tuition).
Students will complete the following two course requirements prior to Finance coursework:
- ECON 200 Basic Economic Issues
- ACCT 250 Survey of Accounting OR
ACCT 200 Intro to Financial Accounting (not available in Fall semester)
You will need to obtain a seat in these two classes through UAccess.
Students will complete the following course in Summer Pre-session:
- FIN 311 Introduction to Finance (online)
Students will complete three of the following four courses offered during Summer I and Summer II sessions.
Summer Session 1
- FIN 301 Principles of Financial Management (on-campus only)
- FIN 302 Personal Investing (on-campus or online)
Summer Session II
- FIN 303 Small Business Finance (online)
- FIN 304 Real Estate Principles (online)
TOTAL: 18 units
Additional Information on Requirements
- Official Academic Program Requirements (APPR) are available on the UA website.
- Finance Minor Course Descriptions
Minor Course Substitutions
The University of Arizona has rules against counting a single course for more than one major or minor on a student’s transcript. If you are using ACCT 200/250 or ECON 200 for another major or minor program, you will need to find a substitute course for either the finance minor or for your other major/minor. If you would rather find a substitute for these courses in your other major or minor, check with the advisors for those programs. Otherwise, read on.
If you are using ACCT 200, ACCT 250 and/or ECON 200 for other majors/minors, you may replace that requirement with an additional finance minor elective (FIN 301, FIN 302, FIN 303 or FIN 304) or request approval of a non-finance course to meet the finance minor requirements. Appropriate courses in computer science, economics, engineering retail and consumer sciences and math may be considered. The Eller Finance Advisor will help you find a suitable alternative. It is recommended that you seek an existing approved substitute course which can be completed before or after the summer program but no later than fall semester after completing your finance coursework.
For more information, please contact Kevin Lundeberg, Eller finance advisor.
Sign up for the Finance Minor
Students must be accepted to the finance minor through an application process.
- Early Application deadline: has passed for the Summer 2020 program but applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
- Final deadline: April 5, 2020 for the Summer 2020 program.