Master's in Business Analytics Program Overview, Curriculum and Courses
Meet the future of data and decision-making.
Discover the next frontier of business analytics. With a curriculum focused on real-world applications, our Master’s in Business Analytics program prepares you to make data-driven decisions that move businesses and entire industries forward. In just 10-16 months, you’ll build analytics expertise and strategic business skills—so you can harness the power of data to change the business landscape as we know it.
job placement at 6 months post graduation
months of immersive learning
dual-degrees options: MBA, MSA, MSF, MS MIS, MSM
What You’ll Learn
Structured and unstructured data management
Statistics and econometrics for analytics
Descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics
Machine learning and AI techniques
Leveraging analytic skills in different business contexts
How to apply these skills to real world problems
Taught by world-class faculty and built on the foundation of our top-five MIS program, the Master’s in Business Analytics program not only helps you build in-demand analytics skills, it introduces you to the core principles of business, and helps turn you into an effective decision maker on a global economic scale.
The updated curriculum was developed in collaboration with industry partners to ensure you leave the program with the necessary skills to succeed in nearly any role working with data. You’ll start by diving deep into three key areas: data management, statistics, and analytical methods. Then you’ll have the opportunity to apply this knowledge in your foundational business courses, required Selectives, and electives in accounting, economics, finance, management, management information systems, and marketing. Throughout the program, students will be required to leverage the most commonly utilized business analytics technologies including but not limited to: the Microsoft Suite including advanced Excel, SQL, Python/R, and Tableau.
If you choose one of our dual-degree options, you’ll spend your final semesters rounding out your requirements—and anticipating the job offers that make it all worthwhile.
Students have the option of completing the 33-unit program in two or three semesters (10 or 16 months). A foundational business communications course is recommended for those completing the degree in 16 months. A summer internship is possible during the 16-month program.
An overview of the curriculum is outlined below. A detailed description for each course can be found in the U of A course catalog
Required foundational business analytics courses – 15 credits
- MIS 502: Technical foundations of Analytics (4)
- BNAD515C: Statistical Foundations of Analytics (2)
- ECON 511A: Econometrics (3)
- MIS 545: Data Mining for Business Intelligence (3)
- BNAD 597A: Business Consulting (3)
Required foundational business course – 6 credits (select 3 as each are 2 credits)
- ACCT 542: Introduction to Financial and Managerial Accounting (2)
- FIN 510A: Financial Management (2)
- MKTG 510: Market-Based Management (2)
- FIN 510B: Financial Management (2)
- OSCM 560: Operations Management (2)
- ECON 550: Economics for Managers(2) (Must request access via Director of Graduate Studies)
Required data visualization selective – 3 credits (select 1)
- MIS 561: Data Visualization (3)
- MKTG 542: Marketing Visual Analytics/Relationship Marketing (3)
Required quantitative selective – 3 credits (select 1)
- ECON 520: Quantitative Methods for Economics (3)
- ECON 511B: Econometrics and Machine Learning (3)
- MIS 548: Deep Learning (3)
- OSCM 571: Optimization for Business (3)
- MKTG 5XX: Unstructured Data Analysis (3)
Electives – 6 credits (select 2)
- Any of the additional courses from the Data Visualization and Quantitative Selectives
- BCOM 512 Advanced Strategic Communication (3)*
- *Only for those in the 16-month program
- ACCT 530 - Forensic and Investigative Accounting(3)
- ACCT 562D - Accounting Data Analytics(3)
- FIN 516 - Financial Statement Analysis for Investment Management (3)
- FIN 520 - Investment Analysis and Management (3)
- FIN 521 - Investment Analysis (3)
- MIS 531 - Enterprise Data Management (3)
- MIS 587 - Business Intelligence (3)
- MKTG 572 - Marketing Research for Managers (3)
- Additional 500 level courses offered by the various Eller departments pending the approval of the Director of Graduate Studies
Earned in just another semester or two, our dual degrees take you from impressive to unstoppable. Dive into the rapidly growing tech industry with a degree in Master’s in MIS. Or broaden your business perspective with a degree in business, finance, marketing, accounting or economics.
MSBA/Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Earn an MBA as well as a Master of Science in Business Analytics—you’ll need to apply to both programs separately and complete a total of 73 units, taking about six semesters.
MSBA/Master of Science in Accounting (MSA)
Students can pursue a career at the intersection of accounting and business analytics, using two skill sets that are increasingly in demand together, by pursuing a dual Master of Science in Accounting and in Business Analytics. This can usually be completed in three semesters, or four if prerequisites are needed.
MSBA/Master of Science in Finance (MSF)
Go far in a career in finance and analytics, with mastery in all the critical areas of finance, data management, statistics and analytic methods. You’ll apply separately to each degree program and can complete the two master’s degrees together in 21 months.
MSBA/Master of Science in Marketing (MSM)
Earn a dual master in Business Analytics as well as Marketing and climb to the forefront of marketing and analytics. You’ll apply separately to each degree program and complete 51 total units, which can be done in about four semesters.