Eller College of Management BA Economics requires Advanced Standing to the upper-division curriculum.
This selective process is separate from the admission application to the University of Arizona.
- Priority Application period will be open from February 9th -March 18th for the Spring 2022 semester.
- The Rolling application will be open April 25, 2022 through August 12th, 2022.
Ready to apply? Please click on the "Admission Portal" below to access the application:
Follow a link below or scroll down to view details on Eller College Advanced Standing to BA Economics:
- Eligibility Requirements
- Application Process
- Criteria Considered
- Differential Tuition Surcharge
- Application Fee
Dates and times are subject to change; please check back again at the beginning of each semester to confirm dates.
*This Timeline refers to the Priority Application period*
|Spring 2022 Date & Time||Advanced Standing Activity|
February 9 @ 5 p.m.
*All times are Mountain Standard Time (MST)*
Advanced Standing Orientation
February 10 @ 5 p.m. ZOOM
|February 9 @ 5 p.m.||
Advanced Standing Application Opens in eSMS
|February 10 - March 17||
Mandatory Academic Advising Appointments
|March 18 @ 12pm-noon||Advanced Standing Application Submission Deadline
Students must submit upload materials online through eSMS
|March 25 by 5 p.m.||Admission Confirmation Notifications Sent by Email
Applicants should watch for an email to their University of Arizona CatMail account
In order to be eligible to apply for Advance Standing for Economics to the Eller College of Management, applicants must meet the following requirements:
Have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 on 12 or more completed graded UA units. If fewer than 12 UA units have been completed, a Transfer GPA will be calculated using coursework from all transfer institutions attended. Any student who does not pass ECON 200 after the second attempt will no longer be eligible to apply for Advance Standing.
Have completed a minimum of 36 units of work acceptable to The University of Arizona and be on track to complete 50 credits by the end of the semester in which applying.
All applicants must be complete or in progress with the necessary Pre-Economic Foundation Coursework. All Foundation Courses must be successfully completed by the end of the regular semester in which a student applies. Students who do not pass any foundation courses which are in progress during the semester in which they apply will have their Advance Standing revoked. The following required courses must be complete or may be in progress as noted below:
- Math Sequence:
At least one complete and the other can be in progress. Acceptable courses include:
MATH 116 and BNAD 276
Note: MATH 116 can be replaced with an approved Calculus course (such as MATH 113, 122B, or 125)
Note: Calculus MUST be completed with a grade of a “C” or higher
Note: BNAD 276 can be replaced with ECON/AREC 339
- English Composition Sequence:
All courses in this sequence must be completed in order to be eligible to apply. Acceptable course sequences include:
ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 OR
ENGL 101A and ENGL 102 OR
ENGL 107 and ENGL 108 OR
ENGL 106, ENGL 107 and ENGL 108 OR
- Economics Sequence:
Course(s) should be complete. Acceptable course(s) include:
ECON 200 OR
ECON 201A and ECON 201B (transfer credit)
Note: ECON 200 MUST be completed with a grade of a “C” or higher
- Management Information Systems Course(s):
Courses can be complete or in progress. Acceptable courses include:
MIS 111 with MIS 111L OR
MIS 111 with MIS 112 (if completing Fall 2018 or later)
- MIS 111L is required for students who entered the UA in Fall 2012 or later (MIS 112 for students who enter the UA Fall 2018 or later).
- Arizona transfer students, please speak with an advisor for more information.
- Business Communication Course:
Course is typically in progress the semester in which applying for Advanced Standing. Acceptable course(s) include:
BCOM 212 OR
BCOM 214 (if already completed as a Pre-Business major)
Note: English Composition Sequence must be completed before taking a Business Communication Course
Arizona transfer students, please speak with an advisor for more information.
Students must be in good academic standing (UA GPA of 2.0 or higher) at the UA in order to be eligible to start the Advance Standing courses. Students may not start the upper-division courses on Academic Probation (UA GPA below 2.0).
The Advanced Standing process for entry into the BA Economics Major within the Eller College of Management requires the following steps:
- Meet all eligibility requirements.
- Attend the Advanced Standing Orientation (applicable only to the Priority Application period).
- Submit the online application through eSMS. You must first submit the online application in order to schedule your advising appointment
- Attend a mandatory academic advising appointment with an academic advisor.
- Upload your completed application by the required deadline (late applications will not be accepted).
Completed application includes:
- Cover Letter: explains reason for pursuing chosen major, as well as personal accomplishments and career goals.
- Resume: highlights your experiences and accomplishments
Eller College Advanced Standing Orientation is mandatory for all Eller College students applying for Advanced Standing during the Priority Application period.
Students are expected to be in attendance at one of the orientation sessions listed below. Casual Attire is appropriate for all Advanced Standing Orientation sessions. Please bring a laptop or mobile device to the Orientation session so that you can submit your online application.
Please RSVP to the Orientation via eSMS:
- Log into eSMS
- Add RSVP
- Search for Orientation as event type
Spring 2022 Advanced Standing Orientation Dates
The Eller College Professional Program seeks students with intellectual and interpersonal abilities that will contribute to the Eller College's academic and co-curricular programs, as well as those students who demonstrate strong leadership potential and have a high potential for success in the professional management field. The admission process is selective. Candidates are evaluated in the following areas:
- Cumulative UA GPA
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.0 GPA in order to be eligible to apply. A Transfer GPA will be calculated for all transfer students who have earned less than 12 credits at UA.
- Pre-Economics Foundation Courses
- Students must complete required Pre-Economics Foundation courses, or be in the process of completing courses during the semester in which they apply.
- Cover Letter and Resume
- Candidates are encouraged to demonstrate leadership, work experience, community service, and involvement in co-curricular activities
- Students are encouraged to utilize resources and Career Coaching offered through the Eller Professional Development Center.
One of our goals is a diverse student body. Among equally qualified applicants, preference will be given to U.S. citizens and others who are otherwise qualified to hold permanent employment in the U.S.
Differential Tuition Surcharge
A professional program fee is assessed every semester to students in Eller's undergraduate professional program. Fees are subject to annual review and may change. During summer and winter sessions, students will incur an additional $20 per unit fee for all courses offered by Eller departments (both lower-division and upper-division). See Differential Tuition Surcharge for more information.
A $55 application fee will be charged to all students submitting an application. For current University of Arizona students, this fee is charged to the student’s Bursars account. Students not yet admitted to the University must pay the $55 application fee online once their eligibility is confirmed (more information shared in advising appointment).