AZSecure FAQs


Teacher in front of class

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see the application deadlines for the following fall semester and links on the How To Apply page. The SFS program only begins in the fall semester and applicants must have all materials submitted by the deadlines for consideration.

No. All course work and research is conducted at The University of Arizona Tucson campus. Other than the courses in the Enterprise Security Certificate (MIS 515, 516 and 517), the AZSecure program is not available online or through satellite campuses.

Yes, you will sign a written service agreements that details your responsibilities. The current service agreement is available for view.

The scholarship funding is only available to eligible, qualified SFS program participants. However, students enrolled in MIS are welcome to take information assurance classes and/or to enroll in the online Enterprise Security Certificate program.

No, the work requirement is a one-for-one match between the time you are supported and the time you are expected to work, but you must work a minimum of one year.

If you are applying for a position that requires an official University of Arizona transcript, you may order transcript delivery through the University’s Office of the Registrar. See the “University of Arizona Transcripts” page at to view an unofficial copy of your transcript, or to order an official copy.

Yes, you may work for federal, state or local government entities. Non-federal placements require prior approval from the Scholarship for Service's officer in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).

Yes, a limited number of students may be placed in National Laboratories and Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs). Such placements require prior approval from OPM SFS.

No; to fulfill your government obligation, you must work at a federal, state, local or tribal government organization, an independent agency, government corporation, commission, quasi-official agency, national laboratory or federally funded research development center.

Yes, you must be employed at a government agency in an information assurance position.

More information about security clearances can be found on the National Background Investigations Bureau page. The procedures and forms used by agencies vary, but the Standard Form (SF) 86 (Questionnaire for National Security positions) is often used for background investigations and security clearances.

No, you are responsible for your own job search, but will receive support in that search through events and services such as a national career fair and a database of participants' resumes.

Federal employees with a bachelor's degree typically begin their employment at the GS-7 level and above, and those with a master's degree may be appointed at the GS-9 level. Higher civil service levels and steps may be applicable depending on many factors. The hiring agency makes the determination about the civil service step and pay grade. Federal pay rates vary depending on the geographic location of the appointment, and special pay rates have been created for federal IT-related jobs.

If you decline a reasonable offer and do not find a position to meet your obligation you could be required to pay back the monies received through the scholarship.

You must repay a prorated amount equivalent to the length of the period not served.

The U.S. Department of Personnel Management has an extensive list of FAQs related to the SFS program that you may find helpful. Or, contact the SFS Program Coordinator or Program Administrator for more information.

More FAQ's available at the OPM SFS FAQ page at

The above adapted from UT-Austin SFS website, 2014.