The 18-unit program is designed so that all admitted students will be registered for the courses simultaneously and be able to complete the program in one summer.
The Marketing Minor is only offered during the summer and cannot be completed during the regular academic year or online.The Marketing Minor is a unique niche program designed for non-business majors who want to enhance their career flexibility. As Director of the program, I want to thank you for your interest and invite you to join us next summer. Applications will be accepted in the fall and spring until the limited number of seats are filled.
Faculty coordinate their assignments and course content throughout the program to help Marketing Minor teams create a marketing plan for a company. Final presentations are presented at the Breakfast of Champions Event on the last day of classes for Summer Session II. All teams receive feedback about their projects from professional judges. Three teams are recognized as the top projects. I think you’ll be amazed at how much you will learn and how you can demonstrate that in these projects which you can share with future employers.
It’s going to be a great summer. Join us for your academic and personal success as an Eller Marketing Minor.
The marketing minor provided me with the tools, insights and mentors I needed to get to where I wanted to be after graduating. The instructors really want their students to do well and will make helpful recommendations. The program is very inclusive and engages the students every step of the way.
Jonathan Managbanag '15 Marketing Minor
Marketing Minor Overview
- Guaranteed Registration: You can be pre-registered in all required courses so that completion of the minor is not dependent on gaining admission to the needed classes that might be closed.
- Fast Completion: The entire minor can be completed in one summer of full-time attendance (the presession classes can be taken during the fall or spring semesters if you can register in those two classes using regular registration).
- Cohort System: You will take the core classes with the same cohort of students which is the typical method for MBA programs. Working with the same students allows team learning and social networking.
- Admission: Admission to the program is competitive, applications are accepted during the fall and Spring semesters. Fall and spring admission decisions will be made on a rolling basis (approximately monthly) until all seats are filled in the spring.
- Commitments: The Marketing Department will make it possible for admitted students to complete the Marketing Minor in one summer. As a marketing minor student, you must commit to registering for the entire block of courses in one summer. Spreading courses over two summers is not allowed because a new cohort will be entering then.
A Transformative Minor
The Marketing Minor can be a valuable addition to your major course of study. This 18-unit, one-summer cohort program is an efficient way to complete a minor at the University of Arizona with guaranteed access to the needed courses. Faculty with academic and experiential credentials will provide the instruction. The business and communication skills offered in the program can be utilized in a variety of careers related to the following non-business degrees:
- Media Arts
- Fine Arts (Music, Art)
- English/Creative Writing
- Retail and Consumer Studies
- Regional Development
- Computer Science
- Foreign Language
- Other majors with non-profit or entrepreneurial interests
- Interdisciplinary Studies Program (see advisor)
Marketing Minor Curriculum
Prerequisites do not need to be completed before you apply for the minor program, but all must be completed by the first day of the minor program. Complete one course from the following:
- ECON 200 Principles of Economics (3)
- ACCT 200 Intro to Financial Accounting (3)
- ACCT 250 Survey of Accounting (3)
- BNAD 303 Marketing Concepts & Tools (3) Offered during fall, winter, spring and pre-session.
- MKTG 304 Marketing Information and Analysis
- MKTG 306 Marketing and Human Behavior
- MKTG 307 Creative Advertising
- MKTG 308 Personal Selling
- MKTG 309 Marketing Communication Tools
- MKTG 310 Marketing Planning and Execution
TOTAL: 18 units
Additional information on requirements:
- Attention: Other Majors or Minors using the same courses - Course Substitutions
- Interdisciplinary Studies: IDS concentrations require 21 units. See the major advisor for marketing recommendations.
Marketing Minor Events
Breakfast of Champions
The culminating event of the summer Marketing Minor program is the Breakfast of Champions. Students and faculty meet on the last day for breakfast and presentations of the final team projects. Judges from the business community are selected to view the presentations and provide insight to the students about how their work would be relevant to real world marketing applications.
Field Trips and Guest Speakers
Instructors provide the students with hands-on experience by visiting local companies and seeing "behind the scenes."
Industry leaders and experts will visit the Marketing Minor classroom to talk about their experience in their specialized field and how marketing applies to various fields and career paths.
The Eller Professional Development Center hosts a Career Immersion Day for the Marketing Minor students and to help provide the "Eller Experience."
Applying to the Marketing Minor Program is a fast process with NO application fee. Applications will be accepted until early May before the Summer Pre-session begins.
Decisions will be made on a rolling basis so that you will know your status within a short period of time after your submission and you will be able to plan your regular coursework. Interested students complete the application process in these three easy steps:
- Complete the online application, below.
- Write a short page-length essay describing your goals for the program.
- Email your resume and essay email@example.com.
For more information about the Marketing Minor, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 520-621-1309.