Thank you for your interest in changing or adding an Eller College major.
Please choose one of the following options, or scroll down for all information:
- Pre-Business/Foundational Business Management or Pre-Economics/Foundational Economics
- Current BSBA Majors
Pre-Business/Foundational Business Management
or Pre-Economics/Foundational Economics
We are excited about your interest in the Eller College of Management. Current UA students who wish to change to or add Pre-Business/Foundational Business Management or Pre-Economics/Foundational Economics must attend a Change of Major Information Session and have a qualifying GPA. International/ESL students must also have an additional qualifying English language proficiency score in UAccess to change to or add Pre-Business/Foundational Business Management.
Effective in Summer 2023, incoming students or current students opting to pursue a business degree through the Eller College of Management on the main campus will enter as Foundational Business Management majors. Similarly, incoming or current students opting to pursue an economics major will begin as an Economics major. Prior to Summer 2023, students entered as Pre-Business and Pre-Economics majors, respectively. These terms are currently used interchangeably until the Pre-Business and Pre-Economics majors are phased out in Summer 2024.
change of major information sessions are online in eSMS
Change of Major Information Session
Change of Major Information Sessions take place online in a Zoom meeting or in person in McClelland Hall, depending on the session. The 1-hour information session is tailored for current non-Pre-Business/Foundational Business Management and/or non-Pre-Economics/Foundational Economics Majors that:
- Would like to change their current major to Pre-Business/Foundational Business Management and/or Pre-Economics/Foundational Economics; or
- Would like to add Pre-Business/Foundational Business Management and/or Pre-Economics/Foundational Economics as a secondary degree
Interested students must RSVP and attend an online Change of Major Information Session. Please view your current Advisement Report while participating in the session:
- Log into UAccess with your UA Net ID and password
- Click on the “Advisement Report” option in the top menu under "Advising"
- Click on the “View Report as PDF” tab
To find the next available information session or RSVP for a Change of Major Information Session:
- Schedule your session in eSMS
- Log in using your UA Net ID and password
- From the available advising centers, in the drop-down menu select "Eller Undergraduate Programs"
- From your eSMS Profile page select "New RSVP" from the top menu
- Select "Information Sessions" in the drop down menu, then click "Begin Search"
- If information sessions are available, select the one of your choice (Note: Change of Major Information Sessions will be posted separately for Pre-Business/Foundational Business Management and Pre-Economics/Foundational Economics; be sure to select the right desired major)
Requirements To Change/Add Major
|Pre-Business/FOUNDATIONAL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT||Pre-Economics/FOUNDATIONAL ECONOMICS|
|Minimum GPA||2.75 (if new student, no GPA minimum is required)||2.0 (if new student, no GPA minimum is required)|
|English Proficiency for International Students||
International students intending to change to Pre-Business must have one of the following scores posted in UAccess:
|Upper Division Admissions||Admission to upper-division Business Professional Program requires a professional application. To review the application requirements and procedures, visit the Professional Admissions section of this website.||Admission to BA Economics' upper-division Program requires an Advanced Standing application. To review the application requirements and procedures, visit the Advanced Standing section of this website.|
Current BSBA Majors
Apply to Add or Change Your Major
This option is only available to current business majors who have been admitted to the Business Professional Program (BSBA). If you wish to change into the Eller Business College from other programs, please refer to the section above.
Double majors or primary major changes within the Eller College Undergraduate Program are restricted. Departments will select students applying based on program and course availability, each student's specific objectives, and academic indicators. Students may only apply for a double major or to change their secondary major during the first and second semesters of the professional program. Posted application deadlines must be met each semester.
The deadline to submit the Add Major Application (double major) for the Spring 2023 Semester (to begin in Fall 2023) is set for Friday, March 31st at 8 a.m. Any requests submitted after this date/time will be considered for the Fall 2023 semester (to begin in Spring 2024).
Applications to Change Primary Major will be considered on a rolling basis throughout the year and will be reviewed starting Friday, March 31st at 8 a.m. There is no deadline but priority consideration is given to students who submit by the Add Major Application deadline each semester (listed above).
Please note that applications will not be considered until all of the following steps are completed:
- Complete an application using eSMS
- Once logged in, click on the Request menu option at the top of your eSMS profile page
- Select Change/Add Major from the menu and click Create Request to complete the application. You will be given the option to select "Add" or "Change".
- Answer questions listed explaining why you want to Change/Add major
- Schedule an advising appointment (if you have not already met with your advisor prior to submitting the request)
- Appointments can be scheduled with your academic advisor through eSMS
- During your appointment, your advisor will discuss your request, sequencing and registration issues
BEGIN Add/CHANGE OF MAJOR APPLICATION IN ESMS
Timeline for Processing
- Students applying for a secondary major will be notified regarding the outcome of their application by email, typically three or four weeks after the deadline each semester.
- Students applying for a primary major change will be notified regarding the outcome of their application by email on a rolling basis throughout the semester once their entire application is complete.
Important Information About Adding or Changing Majors
- Priority during fall and spring semesters are given to primary majors and/or originally declared majors. You may need to take summer classes to "catch up" in your major sequencing or you will need to submit the Class Request to be registered for your major courses.
- Registration for secondary major courses is not guaranteed during the regular fall and spring semesters. Secondary major courses are the student's responsibility and it is strongly recommended that these courses be taken in winter or summer sessions if available.
- All major changes and additions will be processed by the academic department and the following criteria will be used: program and course availability, the student's objective for requesting the change or addition of the major and academic indicators.
- If application is approved to change majors, the major courses for the "old" major will be dropped from the schedule as needed.