Thank you for your interest in changing or adding an Eller College major.
Please choose one of the following options, or scroll down for all information:
Pre-Business or Pre-Economics
We are excited about your interest in Pre-Business and/or Pre-Economics in the Eller College of Management. During the fall and spring semesters, current UA students who wish to change to or add Pre-Business and/or Pre-Economics must attend a Change of Major Information Session and have a qualifying GPA. International/ESL students must also have an additional qualifying English language proficiency score in UAccess to change to or add Pre-Business.
Change of Major Information Session
Change of Major Information Sessions, during the fall and spring semesters, take place in McClelland Hall Room 204. The 1-hour information session is tailored for current non-Pre-business and/or non-Pre-Economics Majors that:
- Would like to change their current major to Pre-Business and/or Pre-Economics; or
- Would like to add Pre-Business and/or Pre-Economics as a secondary degree
Interested students must RSVP and attend a Change of Major Information Session and bring with them a current Advisement Report:
- Log into UAccess with your UA Net ID and password
- Click on the “Advisement Report” option in the drop-down menu
- Click on the “View Report as PDF” tab
- Consider printing double sided, or two pages per sheet to reduce paper usage
To find the next available information session or RSVP for a Change of Major Information Session:
- Schedule your session in eSMS
- Log in using your UA Net ID and password
- From your eSMS Profile page select "New RSVP" from the top menu
- Select "Information Sessions" in the drop down menu, then click "Begin Search"
- If information sessions are available, select the one of your choice (Note: Change of Major Information Sessions will be posted separately for Pre-Business and Pre-Economics; be sure to select the right desired major)
- During the summer, if there are no information sessions available, please schedule an advising appointment with an academic advisor
Requirements To Change/Add Major
|Minimum GPA||2.75 (if new student, no GPA minimum is required)||2.5 (if new student, no GPA minimum is required)|
|English Proficiency for International Students||
International students intending to change to Pre-Business must have one of the following scores posted in UAccess:
|Upper Division Admissions||Admission to upper-division Business Professional Program requires a professional application. To review the application requirements and procedures, visit the Professional Admissions section of this website.||Admission to BA ECON’s upper-division Program requires an Advanced Standing application. To review the application requirements and procedures, visit the Advanced Standing section of this website.|
Current BSBA Majors
Apply to Add or Change Your Major
This option is only available to current business majors who have been admitted to the Business Professional Program (BSBA). If you wish to change into the Eller Business College from other programs, please refer to the "Pre-Business or Pre-Economics" section above.
Double-majors within the Eller College Undergraduate Program are restricted. Departments will select students applying for double majors based on program and course availability, each student's specific objectives, and academic indicators. Students may only apply for a double major or to change their secondary major during the first and second semesters of the professional program. Request for secondary major from students participating in the Global Cohort will be considered with the fall application process. Posted application deadlines must be met each semester.
The deadline to submit the Add Major Application for the Fall 2019 Semester (to begin in Spring 2020) is Friday, November 1st at 8 a.m. Any requests submitted after this date/time will be considered for the Spring 2020 semester (to begin in Fall 2020). The deadline for Spring 2020 (to begin in Fall 2020) will be set by mid January.
Applications to change your primary major will be considered on a rolling basis throughout the year. There is no deadline but priority consideration is given to students who submit by the deadline each semester.
Please note that applications will not be considered until all of the following steps are completed:
- Complete an application using eSMS
- Once logged in, click on the Request menu option at the top of your eSMS profile page
- Select Change/Add Major from the menu and click Create Request to complete the application
- Schedule an advising appointment (if you have not already met with your advisor prior to submitting the request)
- During your appointment, your advisor will discuss your request, sequencing and registration issues
- Submit a Statement of Intent
- Upload this to your Documents tab in eSMS (folder tab to the right once logged in)
- No longer than a 1 page, double spaced, typed document indicating your reasons for wanting to change your primary major or add a double major
- You may also want to address:
- your reasons for pursuing a new primary and/or additional major
- Your career aspirations related to pursuing a new primary and/or additional major
- Your educational aspirations related to pursuing a new primary and/or additional major
- Save the document as LastName, FirstName when uploading
- You must upload your Statement of Intent to your eSMS Documents, no later than the deadline stated above to complete your application. Your application will not be complete until this document is submitted.
Timeline for Processing
- Students applying for a secondary major will be notified regarding the outcome of their application by email, typically three or four weeks after the deadline each semester.
- Students applying for a primary major change will be notified regarding the outcome of their application by email on a rolling basis throughout the semester once their entire application is complete.
Important Information About Adding or Changing Majors
- Priority during fall and spring semesters are given to primary majors and/or originally declared majors. You may need to take summer classes to "catch up" in your major sequencing or you will need to submit the Class Request to be registered for your major courses.
- Registration for secondary major courses is not guaranteed during the regular fall and spring semesters. Secondary major courses are the student's responsibility and it is strongly recommended that these courses be taken in winter or summer sessions if available.
- All major changes and additions will be processed by the academic department and the following criteria will be used: program and course availability, the student's objective for requesting the change or addition of the major and academic indicators.
- If application is approved to change majors, the major courses for the "old" major will be dropped from the schedule as needed.