Welcome to the Eller College! Learn more below about getting started in the college with Academic Advising.
The Eller College provides a variety of specialized advising for first year (freshmen) and transfer students to assist in the transition to college and ensure that students develop plans to progress through the curriculum according to their needs and goals. To that end, incoming first year and transfer students will have unique orientation advising experiences.
- Apply for Admission to the University of Arizona
- First Year Orientation Advising
- Transfer Orientation Advising
- First Year Follow-Up Group Academic Advising
Eller First Year Student Orientation Advising
The First Year Orientation process begins in the Next Steps Center where students will complete a variety of tasks to get ready for beginning classes at the University of Arizona, which includes selecting an orientation advising day and completing placement assessments. Each First Year University student is auto-enrolled into their first semester courses by the University prior to their first year orientation date and the classes enrolled are based upon their major requirements and placement outcomes.
Once first year students have reviewed all of the orientation materials about the Eller College in the Next Steps Center and have learned the information they need to know to begin their Eller Foundational Experience, students are then ready to complete their "First Year Orientation Advising" on their Orientation Advising Day, which was selected in the Next Steps Center.
To successfully complete First Year Student Orientation, a student must:
- Complete their Next Steps Center, including any needed placement assessments and the Countdown to Orientation tile that appears two weeks before the scheduled Orientation Day.
- On Orientation Day, participate in a Zoom college meeting and in the afternoon complete Zoom advising with an Eller Academic Advisor following the instructions on this web page (see below).
- Leading up to your orientation day, students will receive emails and texts from our eSMS system to prepare you for your orientation advising window.
To begin your orientation advising:
- To participate you must have Zoom downloaded to a desktop or laptop. UArizona students can sign in and set up their University Zoom accounts with their Net ID and password beginning here: https://arizona.zoom.us/.
- Schedule Review for the Eller College will begin at 1:00 PM (Arizona time) on Zoom. These details will be in your Next Steps Center one week before your scheduled Orientation Day
- You and the advisor will then review your class schedule for the first semester in UAccess Student Center and the advisor may make recommendations for you to adjust your schedule. This is a critical time to share if you have any college transfer credits coming with you, like AP or dual enrollment credit.
Parents and family have an important role in First Year Orientation Advising, namely to empower their students to take ownership of their collegiate academics and experiences. Parents and Families are encouraged to engage with the UA Essentials provided to families by New Student Orientation.
Eller Transfer Student Orientation Advising
The Transfer Student Orientation process also begins in the Next Steps Center where students will complete a variety of tasks to get ready for beginning classes at the University of Arizona, which includes selecting an orientation session. Following completion of their Next Steps Center, transfer students will complete the "Transfer Student Orientation" in D2L, wherein students will learn what they need to be successful at The University of Arizona and in the Eller College. Transfer students are encouraged to pay close attention to the Eller Foundational curriculum and what courses in their previous coursework may relate. Within D2L, transfer students will receive an invitation to sign up for their Transfer Student Orientation advising appointment via a bitly link. This bitly link will also be shared in a welcome email sent to each student's Catmail. During this virtual advising appointment, the student and advisor will collaborate over Zoom to discuss what transfer coursework can apply to Eller and general education requirements, plan classes to move forward towards a professional Eller major, and answer questions for the student. If transfer coursework is not pre-approved for transfer to the University of Arizona as a particular Eller requirement, the advisor may ask the student to collect syllabi from their previous coursework to determine if there are course equivalencies. We look forward to seeing you at your mandatory Transfer Student Orientation advising appointment on your scheduled Orientation day.
First Year Follow-Up is a mandatory advising program for all first-semester first years in the Eller College of Management.
During this fall program, students determine what classes they need to take in the spring semester, as well as confirm registration dates and times. The program also includes additional reminders of various student services available through the Eller College of Management and the University of Arizona. This is not a one-on-one appointment with your advisor but group advising.
Foundational Business Management and Economics majors who are in their first semester of college in the fall semester must attend. This program is designed for students who graduated from high school last year, not transfer students.
If you are a first-semester first year student this fall, you must complete the First Year Follow-Up program prior to registering for spring semester classes.
The main group advising takes place within MIS 111 in October 2023.
Check your UAccess Student Center this fall for your spring priority registration date.
For additional information, please contact your Foundational academic advisor.