Sports and Society Concentration
The Sports Management / Sports and Society Concentration is available to students who are majoring in General Studies. Completion of these classes will provide a resume differentiator and facilitate job opportunities in the sports industry. Faculty with sports industry contacts and guest speakers from professional sports organizations are paired with experiential learning and study trips to sporting events.
Students majoring in General Studies (BGS) must complete these two prerequisite courses prior to enrolling in any sports management classes:
- ACCT 250 Survey of Accounting or ACCT 200 Introduction to Financial Accounting
(ACCT 200 is only available to non-BSBA students in spring, summer and winter sessions; ACCT 250 is the preferred course.)
- ECON 200 Basic Economic Issues
BGS students are then eligible to take the following courses:
- BNAD 302 Human Side of Organizations
- MGMT 351 Sports Administration and Planning
- MGMT 352 Sport Tourism and Event Management
- MGMT 353 Sports Negotiation and Compliance
- MGMT 354 Business of College Sports
- MGMT 356 Sports Communication
- MGMT 357 Life Cycle of Elite Athletes
- MGMT 359 Special Topics in Sports Management
- MKTG 355/MGMT 355 Sports Marketing Management
View sports management course descriptions and other information.
*Students completing the General Studies: Sports and Society Concentration are not able to minor in Sports Management.