Allison S. Gabriel
Associate Professor of Management and Organizations
McClelland Hall 405 FF
1130 E. Helen St.
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, Arizona 85721-0108
Areas of Expertise
- Emotions at work
- Employee recovery
- Interpersonal stressors and relationships at work
- Employee well-being
PhD, Industrial-Organizational Psychology, University of Akron, 2013
M.A., Industrial-Organizational Psychology, University of Akron, 2010
B.A., Psychology (Honors, Highest Distinction), Psychology, Penn State University, 2008
Allison Gabriel joined the Eller College of Management in 2015 after teaching at Virginia Commonwealth University for two years. She earned her PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology in 2013 from the University of Akron. Her research focuses on emotions at work, employee recovery, interpersonal stressors and relationships at work, motivation and employee well-being.
- MGMT 310A - Organizational Behavior
- BNAD 302 - Human Side of Organizations
(Underlined names current/former Arizona PhD students; * equal contribution)
- Chawla, N., Gabriel, A.S., da Motta Veiga, S.P., & Slaughter, J.E. (In press). Does feedback matter for job search self-regulation? It depends on feedback quality. Personnel Psychology.
- Chawla, N., MacGowan, R.L., Gabriel, A.S., & Podsakoff, N.P. (In press). Unplugging or staying connected? Examining the nature, antecedents, and consequences of profiles of daily recovery experiences. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Chawla, N., Wong, E.M., & Gabriel, A.S. (In press). Expanding the discourse surrounding sexual harassment: The case for considering experienced and observed hostile sexism, benevolent sexism, and gendered incivility. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice.
- Diefendorff, J.M., Gabriel, A.S., Nolan, M.T., & Yang, J. (In press). Emotion regulation in the context of customer mistreatment and felt affect: An event-based profile approach. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Gabriel, A.S., Podsakoff, N.P., Beal, D.J., Scott, B.A., Sonnentag, S., Trougakos, J.P., & Butts, M.M. (In press). Experience sampling methods: A discussion of critical trends and considerations for scholarly advancement. Organizational Research Methods.
- Motro, D., Gabriel, A.S., & Ellis, A.P.J. (In press). Examining the effects of menstruation on women’s helping behavior in the workplace. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology.
- Podsakoff, N.P., Spoelma, T.M., Chawla, N., & Gabriel, A.S. (In press). What predicts within-person variance in applied psychology constructs? An empirical examination. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Butts, M.M.*, Lunt, D.C.*, Freling, T.L.*, & Gabriel, A.S. * (2019). Helping one or helping many? A theoretical integration and meta-analytic review of the compassion fade literature. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 151, 16-33.
- Gabriel, A.S., Butts, M.M., Yuan, Z., Rosen, R.L., & Sliter, M.T. (2018). Further understanding incivility in the workplace: The effects of gender, agency, and communion. Journal of Applied Psychology, 103, 362-382.
- Gabriel, A.S., Campbell, J.T., Djurdjevic, E., Johnson, R.E., & Rosen, C.C. (2018). Fuzzy profiles: Comparing and contrasting latent profile analysis and fuzzy set analysis for person-centered research. Organizational Research Methods (Special Issue on Person-Centered Methodologies in the Organizational Sciences), 21, 877-904.
- Gabriel, A.S., Koopman, J., Rosen, C.C., & Johnson, R.E. (2018). Helping others or helping oneself? An episodic examination of the behavioral consequences of helping at work. Personnel Psychology, 71, 85-107.
- McClelland, L.E., Gabriel, A.S., & DePuccio, M.J. (2018). Compassion practices, nurse well-being, and ambulatory patient experience ratings. Medical Care, 56, 4-10.
- Gabriel, A.S., Diefendorff, J.M., Bennett, A.A., & Sloan, M.D. (2017). It’s about time: The promise of continuous rating assessments for the organizational sciences. Organizational Research Methods, 20, 32-60.
- Bennett, A.A.*, Gabriel, A.S.*, Calderwood, C., Dahling, J.J., & Trougakos, J.P. (2016). Better together? Examining profiles of employee recovery experiences. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101, 1635-1654.
- Calderwood, C.*, Gabriel, A.S.*, Rosen, C.C., Simon, L.S., & Koopman, J. (2016). 100 years running: The need to understand why employee physical activity benefits organizations. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 37, 1104-1109.
- da Motta Veiga, S.P.*, & Gabriel, A.S.* (2016). The role of self-determined motivation in job search: A dynamic approach. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101, 350-361.
- Gabriel, A.S., Cheshin, A., Moran, C.M., & Van Kleef, G.A. (2016). Enhancing emotional performance and customer service through human resources practices: A systems perspective. Human Resource Management Review (Special Issue on Organizational Drivers of Customer Service Outcomes), 26, 14-24.
- Rosen, C.C., Koopman, J., Gabriel, A.S., & Johnson, R.E. (2016). Who strikes back? A daily investigation of when and why incivility begets incivility. Journal of Applied Psychology, 101, 1620-1634.
- Gabriel, A.S., Daniels, M.A., Diefendorff, J.M., & Greguras, G.J. (2015). Emotional labor actors: A latent profile analysis of emotional labor strategies. Journal of Applied Psychology, 100, 863-879.
- Gabriel, A.S., & Diefendorff, J.M. (2015). Emotional labor dynamics: A momentary approach. Academy of Management Journal, 58, 1804-1825.
- Grandey, A.A. & Gabriel, A.S. (2015). Emotional labor at a crossroads: Where do we go from here? Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 2, 323-349.
- Gabriel, A.S., Diefendorff, J.M., Chandler, M.M., Moran, C.M., & Greguras, G.J. (2014). The dynamic relationships of work affect and job satisfaction with perceptions of fit. Personnel Psychology, 67, 389-420.
- Gabriel, A.S., Diefendorff, J.M., & Erickson, R.J. (2011). The relations of daily task accomplishment satisfaction with changes in affect: A multilevel study in nurses. Journal of Applied Psychology, 96, 1095-1104.
• Academy of Management (AOM)
• American Psychological Association (APA)
• Society for Industrial-Organizational Psychology (SIOP)
Editorial Work and Service to the Field
• Academy of Management Human Resources Division - Representative at Large (2017 - Present)
• Journal of Applied Psychology - Editorial Board (2014 - Present)
• Journal of Business and Psychology – Editorial Board (2014 – Present)
• Journal of Management – Editorial Board (2017 – Present)
• Journal of Organizational Behavior – Editorial Board (2018 – Present)
• Personnel Psychology – Editorial Board (2017 – Present)
• Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology - Editorial Board (2013 - 2018)
• The Industrial-Organizational Psychologist – Editorial Board (2015 – 2018)
Awards and Honors
• Poets & Quants Top 50 Undergraduate Business School Professor, 2018
• Eller Online Business Administration Cohort Outstanding Faculty Award, 2018
• Eller College Student's Choice Award for Outstanding Faculty, 2018
• Western Academy of Management Ascendant Scholar Award, 2018
• Best Reviewer Award for Personnel Psychology, 2018
• Best Reviewer Award for Journal of Management, 2018
• Eller College Student's Choice Award for Outstanding Faculty, 2017
• Distinguished Honorary Member - National Society of Collegiate Scholars, 2017
• Eller College of Management Dean's Research Award for Assistant Professors, 2017
• AOM Organizational Behavior Division Outstanding Reviewer, 2017
• AOM Human Resources Division Showcase Symposium (Trougakos, Gabriel, Bennett, Dahling, & Calderwood), 2016
• Journal of Business and Psychology Editor Commendation Award (Gabriel, Acosta, & Grandey), 2015
• AOM Organizational Behavior Division Outstanding Reviewer, 2015
• SIOP Top Rated Poster Award (da Motta Veiga & Gabriel), 2015
• SIOP Top Rated Poster Award (Gabriel), 2015
• AOM Organizational Behavior Division Outstanding Reviewer, 2014
• SIOP Scholar, 2014
• SIOP S. Rains Wallace Dissertation Award, 2014